Talk

Advanced search

Cleaner going to identify burglar for us....

(6 Posts)
CharlyWooplus2 Thu 11-Feb-16 12:05:48

WWYD? On Monday my cleaner told me that 10 days previously we had been broken into and that I should be careful and always lock the door when I am inside alone.

She speaks quite broken English, but when I got to the bottom of it, she had been cleaning and heard the door open, went to see if it was her niece who she thought was upstairs (they clean together) and saw a man in my hallway. He said he was delivering leaflets and the door popped open in his hands. He was halfway up my hall. He promptly left.

What she didn't realise is that my car keys have been missing ever since. She didn't think to tell me at the time as she thought she's disturbed him, then when she went to leave and walked a couple of streets away, there he was, surrounded by police officers and in cuffs!

Anyway, glad she did tell me. I called police, who are treating it as burglary. They think they have the guy in custody (which could make sense as my car is still here!) BUT... they have called my cleaner in to come and identify him plus do an interview with an interpreter.

Anyway, I now feel very guilty as she is taking time out of her day to go to the police station and give her statement. She's being v sweet about it.

So....I have offered to pick her up from her house and drive her there, to try and minimise the hassle. Should I pay her for her time as well? Give her a bottle of wine/chocs to say thanks? Do nothing (that feels a bit mean).

WWYD? Thanks in advance flowers

ImperialBlether Thu 11-Feb-16 12:09:08

I'd pay her the hourly rate for however long it takes. I do think she should have told you before, though!

PippaHotamus Thu 11-Feb-16 12:20:00

have you got your keys back?

CharlyWooplus2 Thu 11-Feb-16 12:30:09

I know! Can't quite believe it took her 10 days! When she walked in, the first thing she said was 'you should take more care and lock yourself in because XYZ happened!' and I thought thanks very much for telling me sooner! But... it's done now I guess and at least I now know, instead of blaming my DH for having lost them, haha! I'd turned the house upside down looking for the keys.

No, they haven't turned up and the police haven't told me if they've got them yet. When they came round they said they wouldn't necessarily have confiscated them as they could have been his, but chances are if he couldn't provide a good explanation as to what car he owned and the reg. etc. they may have taken them off him... or they said if he saw the police he may have chucked them in a neighbouring garden. But 10 days have passed so....
Other possibility is that they have them as he us in custody, but they haven't told me if they do.

I think I'll wait to see what happens after today's line up then give them another call!

obsessedlex Thu 11-Feb-16 12:38:03

I'm not sure what you can do but I'd be a bit worried if my car keys were "missing" chucked into the neighbour's garden or not. I'd probably be asking the police what advise they have as I wouldn't have thought that your insurance company would be particularly happy should your car go missing!

CharlyWooplus2 Thu 11-Feb-16 15:44:35

I've reported them stolen to the insurers and the police have now confirmed they didn't recover the keys. Boo!

I've also offered the cleaner to pay her for her time whilst she's at the police station, but she insists that she just wants to do it because it's the right thing to do. I tried to insist, but she still refused, so...I guess I'm back to a bottle of wine or chocolates????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now