Talk

Advanced search

Did he hit me?

(44 Posts)
Bonniesloth Thu 11-Feb-16 06:11:37

I have just gone back to work after maternity. My baby's 6 months old. Since going back to work dh has been helping woth night feeds. He is in bed with us as stirring, and I comment that he shouldn't be in his sleep bag between us under a duvet as might overheat .
Dh took massive offense to this and angrily flicked me in the face. I thought he'd hit me it was that hard. He said I shouldn't tell him he's killing his son. He made me feel like I was over reacting, as when I said i wanted him out he said " awww are you going to tell people I flicked you? Because I will, you're being fucking stupid"
I don't know what to do. Hes never hit me before... did he even hit me? Am I over reacting?

fuzzywuzzy Thu 11-Feb-16 06:14:35

He hit you.

Would you do that to him?

And you're right your baby shouldn't be in a sleeping bag when he's in bed between you both under a duvet.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 11-Feb-16 06:28:19

He has been violent to you, and he's minimising it. He doesn't even seem sorry. You are not over-reacting.

AnyFucker Thu 11-Feb-16 06:31:16

Yes he hit you. In front of your son. Then made it your fault. Is this the kind of man you thought you would end up with ?

Seeyounearertime Thu 11-Feb-16 06:37:20

Would he "flick" his son when his son says something he disagrees with?
Why if his son is crying and it bothers him?

Bonniesloth Thu 11-Feb-16 07:19:50

He's really good at turning things round on me. I really don't know what to do.

Thattimeofyearagain Thu 11-Feb-16 07:23:48

He hit you. He is minimizing and turning it on you. You know what you should do.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 11-Feb-16 07:25:47

Err, yes he hit you but what the FUCK is he doing minimising the very real safety issue that you told him about?

So not only is he ok with flicking you in the face, he's quite happy to risk his son's health and life, AND take the piss out of you for being cautious.

Why do you want to be with him again?

Thattimeofyearagain Thu 11-Feb-16 07:35:04

Tell someone IRL

Bonniesloth Thu 11-Feb-16 07:40:28

Im going to tell my friend, see what she says. You're all right. I know you are. Hes never actually been physical before and I feel like it was so minor I shouldn't make a big deal about it. However I know if it was my friend id be telling to to LTB. Fucking fuck fuck.

FarrowandBallAche Thu 11-Feb-16 15:20:33

He flicked you. Hard. Pretty shitty thing to do and totally not acceptable.

meringue33 Thu 11-Feb-16 15:27:31

My best friend was murdered by her partner two weeks ago. It starts small then escalates. Get help to get out now.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 11-Feb-16 15:28:45

Oh no, meringue, that's awful! sad shock
I hope there were no children involved?

AnotherEmma Thu 11-Feb-16 15:36:06

Yes he hit you. It sounds like he has already been emotionally abusive and he has now started being physically abusive too. It's very worrying that he did it when your baby was between you, as well. I would be worried about him causing physical harm to the baby as well as you - and then blaming it on you.

Please do talk to your friend and call Women's Aid as well. They have a 24 hour helpline: 0808 2000 247

Footle Thu 11-Feb-16 15:43:45

Who 'flicks' people ? Does he pinch as well ? He sounds vile.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 11-Feb-16 16:04:40

I think it's really helpful to not discriminate between the actual 'actions'

A hit is the same as a punch as a flick as a kick as a slap.

Instead we should concentrate on how it is felt in the body. If aggressive contact is made it hurts.

He sounds awful. Not just the violence but the diminishing, the minimising, the criticising.

Please leave with your baby. You both deserve better thanksthanksthanks

Jux Fri 12-Feb-16 09:17:58

What is he like generally? Does he talk over you, stand in a doorway so you can't get through? How is he with ds?

I do think he has hit you. You can feel it can't you? That's why you've posted here. You could feel his intention behind the flick. It's like making unkind jokes about you and then pretending that they're "only a joke".

You know he intended to hurt you, that he wanted to hurt you; you can't live with someone who actually wants to hurt you. That is why you should pack up your baby and go.

AnotherEmma Fri 12-Feb-16 10:02:27

I think Laurie makes a good point that the type of action doesn't matter, whether it was a hit, flick, kick, slap, punch, poke - either way it's aggressive touching that inflicts pain.

Bonniesloth Fri 12-Feb-16 18:35:49

He's perfect the rest of the time. Not jealous, not possessive, we lead our own independent lives away from each other and have a great time together the rest of the time. We argue very rarely but he's a shit when we do.
I spoke to my friend who knows us both well and she put it into perspective. I know many won't agree but it was 4am and neither of us was thinking straight as so exhausted. No excuse I know, however this genuinely isn't his nature. I made him stay out last night so I could gather my thoughts and get some perspective.

Bonniesloth Fri 12-Feb-16 18:37:57

To add he never stands in doorways to stop me nor talks over me. He dotes on ds. Bar this one slip he's the perfect dad.

AnotherEmma Fri 12-Feb-16 19:02:41

He's not perfect. Perfect would not include "one slip" or being a "shit" when you argue. It will escalate. You have been warned.

AnotherEmma Fri 12-Feb-16 19:04:09

Please do look at these signs of emotional abuse - you might be surprised.

I'm disappointed that your friend has minimised this sad

AnotherEmma Fri 12-Feb-16 19:33:40

Has he apologised? Does he admit that he was in the wrong? If you asked him to do an anger management course, would he do it?

If he was just a decent guy who made a mistake in the heat of the moment, he would be genuinely sorry. From what you've said about him, I suspect that's not the case.

He will probably "play nice" for a while, to lull you back into a false sense of security, but at some point he's going to lose his temper again. What then?

MrsHathaway Fri 12-Feb-16 19:47:21

It sounds to me not only as though he's justifying what he did, but also as though he's threatening to do it again. If you criticise him he will physically punish you.

The physical act may have been small, but the thought process behind it is chilling. I would be afraid to leave my child with someone who thinks it's ever appropriate to retaliate with physical pain.

Bonniesloth Fri 12-Feb-16 19:50:27

This is the one and only time he's lost his temper. I don't think that warrants anger management... I am by miles the far more volatile in our relationship and nobody has suggested I go to anger management.
Perfect is a strong word and of course he isnt perfect... but in our years together this is the first time his has happened. He has apologised. I know its hard to explain over the Internet but I know it won't escalate. He was mortified id basically called him a wife beater (which in fairness is extreme- yes he flicked me but he didn't beat me and I know for a fact he wouldn't)
As for my friend minimalising the situation... she hasn't. Its a lot easier to explain face to face. Plus she knows both of our personalities. She knows he was wrong and she doesn't condone what he's done at all, however she knows he has the patience of a saint with me bar this once. If someone pushed my buttons the way I push his to be honest I'd have snapped a long time ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now