Talk

Advanced search

possible animal neglect

(8 Posts)
shoeaddict83 Mon 25-Jan-16 15:20:44

Not sure what to do with this info.

I work with someone who keeps a couple of horses that his wife mainly rides and sheep in the same field at his house. He has twice had time off work for medical reasons for the horse throwing him off and for being trampled by another of his horses resulting in fractured collar bone, cheek etc.

Anyway he is always moaning he has no money and constantly asking for wages advances(he isnt quiet about this at work) but despite many people asking why he doesnt sell his horses if hes struggling he refuses to.

Anyway today he has been busy telling everyone how hes so broke he cant afford to feed his animals so his horses are fed out of date human food and over the last week this has been red velvet cake and jaffa cakes from xmas.

So my WWYD is do i just ignore it and let him get on with it, or should this be something i report to the RSPCA as neglect for them to look into? It is listed on their site as neglect if animals are not fed proper diets, but im not sure if im just sticking my nose in or if i should report it?

Any thoughts?

CQ Mon 25-Jan-16 15:28:17

RSPCA will be no good. Maybe try chatting it over with someone at the British Horse Society welfare section?

Is it possible he's just a blabbermouth who likes telling tall stories?

Also, could he not sell the sheep to raise some cash - they'd sell easier than 2 horses probably, and without so much emotional attachment.

shoeaddict83 Mon 25-Jan-16 15:32:14

He is a blabbermouth but honestly he comes to work unwashed, he smells so bad you have to walk around him in as wide a circle as possible whilst holding your breath, he fixes machinery all day then eats his food without washing his hands so you can literally see oil and muck on his sandwiches where his fingers have been, and he has no qualms about admitting how much he struggles with money. So i think he just lives in a bit of a squalor to be honest, but thats up to him if he wants personal hygiene like that. Its now hes admitting hes neglecting the horses that its annoyed me, its not their fault.
TBH he didnt mention the sheep so not sure if hes more attached to them and is feeding them right??
Perhaps your right and the horse society is better than the RSPCA, ive not heard of them before so didnt realise there was an alternative, thanks smile

Millie2013 Mon 01-Feb-16 08:35:12

Im a bit late, but World Horse Welfare are very good!

tobysmum77 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:01:22

Horses aren't always easy to just sell, you can get stuck with them if they are older/ badly behaved/ unsound.

All they actually need to eat is hay, same as the sheep. Assuming they have enough grazing they don't actually need feeding apart from in the winter. Are they really skinny looking?

shoeaddict83 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:24:36

Well rspca were called out last week to his allotments as someone had reported his chickens, one of which was dead when they arrived and the others very malnutritioned, apparently they are now looking into all his animals so he's on their radar.

tobysmum77 Sun 07-Feb-16 09:40:16

That while shocking is at least reassuring that it's being looked at. They need hay at this time of year and will go skinny if they don't get it. I'm bit an expert on sheep but farmers usually give them hay also......

shoeaddict83 Sun 07-Feb-16 11:55:32

Thing is he isn't a farmer he just keeps these animals but doesn't care for them. They don't have hay as he can't afford it, he feeds all
Of them his human left overs or out of date food, that's what's so worrying. All his animals are being looked at now though so hopefully get the help they need

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now