Talk

Advanced search

Accidentally punched nephew

(24 Posts)
BrassMonk Sun 10-Jan-16 17:01:04

Feel awful about this.
Nephew is just over 1. He has recently started pulling himself up on the edge of things. Today we were visiting and I was standing next to him while he was in his playpen. He had pulled himself up the side and was standing holding on at the top.

He wobbled, let go and started to fall so I went to grab him. He managed to grab the sides again and stood back up- right into my hand that was supposed to be helping him sad.

As I was still reaching down the way, I effectively punched him in the face. It wasn't very hard I don't think. He didn't cry, but he has always had a high pain threshold so that probably doesn't mean anything. His dad was in the room and askes what happened. I explained and he just kind of shrugged and went back to his conversation. When we were leaving there was a mark on nephews cheek that wasn't there when we arrived sad

So the wwyd is if you had done it, would you phone/text to apologise and make sure he was ok?
If it was your do, would you be angry?

vestandknickers Sun 10-Jan-16 17:04:17

Don't be daft. If it was my child I wouldn't give it a second thought! Don't worry.

LillyBugg Sun 10-Jan-16 17:05:31

You're overthinking this. It happens all the time when little ones are wobbling all over the place. You explained to dad, he was fine about it, no more action needed.

Accidents happen - you didn't do it on purpose. Please don't worry.

SavoyCabbage Sun 10-Jan-16 17:07:49

I pushed mine off a swing. He flew through the air in an arc like he was in a cartoon. It was his first time not in a not baby swing.

winchester1 Sun 10-Jan-16 17:08:46

Id think nothing of it, you tried to help, dad knows what happened and didn't care at the time.
Don't worry about it.

coffeeisnectar Sun 10-Jan-16 17:10:59

I sent my dd flying off a swing once too. Quite spectacular really.

He will be fine and if this is the worst thing to ever happen to him it will be a miracle.

BackforGood Sun 10-Jan-16 17:24:33

Agree with everyone else - these things happen all the time at that age. Normal parents wouldn't be bothered at all. However, if it makes you feel better, you can still give your sister (?) / SiL (?) a quick call to check he's ok and apologise.

Whataboutnodetox Sun 10-Jan-16 17:26:23

Honestly it's nothing, lovely of you to be concerned but you didn't punch him and no harm has been done xx

Whataboutnodetox Sun 10-Jan-16 17:26:40

Sorry about the kisses, I forgot myself.

BrassMonk Sun 10-Jan-16 17:28:01

I know objectively you're all right, and if it had been my ds I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought but I just feel really terrible. He's so little still. Will take your advice and hope that sil isn't annoyed with me. Thanks

whatdoIget Sun 10-Jan-16 17:28:26

It's not a big deal. At that age children are knocking themselves all the time. Don't worry at all.

Pico2 Sun 10-Jan-16 17:31:10

Do you have children BrassMonk? You get used to this when you do. DD1 and I have both kneed DD2 in the head today. We didn't mean to and just apologised to her at the time.

RabbitsarenotHares Sun 10-Jan-16 17:51:04

I was walking home from work one day when a wee lad came running towards me, heading towards traffic. I stepped sideways to catch him, didn't quite get there and he tripped over my foot.

I felt awful and was expecting a row from his mother (who I knew by sight) but she just thanked me. He might have grazed his hand but at least he hadn't gone under a car. Still felt awful though.

Then there was the time I was trying to cross a busy main road with a friend's 3yo. I had hi/ hand in one hand and a couple of bags in the other. His mother had her baby and handbag (so unable to help).

Halfway across he decided he wasn't going anywhere and sat down in the middle of the road. We both yelled at him to no avail so I started to walk to the other side, dragging him across. Again I felt awful, but couldn't really do much else.

VagueIdeas Sun 10-Jan-16 17:55:52

It's nothing. He didn't cry so you didn't hurt him.

MissBattleaxe Sun 10-Jan-16 17:57:01

I've accidentally punched my sons on the chin when doing their zips up. I was ever so sorry, but they can't even remember now.

ChristmasCabbage Mon 11-Jan-16 17:34:32

I sat on my niece once. I checked the seat was free of children, yes, then when I put my arse down literally two seconds later, my niece had crawled into my spot and dropped my whole body weight on her.

She was fine.

controllfreak Tue 12-Jan-16 20:22:47

Obviously it was a complete accident and no actual harm was done. However if it was the husband he'd have been yelled at..

amysmummy12345 Tue 12-Jan-16 20:30:53

I accidentally punched my niece in the nose at a similar age, she had a snow suit in and as I zipped it up it got caught and my hand slipped and clipped her nose, she's 13 now and still reminds me of how I punched her as a baby (jokingly shesays )

abbsismyhero Mon 18-Jan-16 19:43:26

yy to the punch when zipping up also zipping the child's neck in the coat

ex dp opened the car door into ds1

pippitysqueakity Mon 18-Jan-16 19:47:56

Yelled at by whom control ?

Illstartexercisingtomorrow Mon 18-Jan-16 19:50:24

My DH has form for this. He once full on smacked his DN (3) in the face with a wii control. Poor boy was so stunned it was a full 30s before he started crying.

More recently he managed to flatten our dd whilst playing badminton. hmm

I think you're ok wink

Penfold007 Mon 18-Jan-16 20:40:47

Years ago at a family get together my lovely BIL was playing garden badminton with my seven year old nephew, he puled his arm back to return a volley and knocked my 18 month old sparko on the lawn. I was annoyed with myself and DH not BIL. You will be fine, it was an accident.

Gobbolino6 Mon 18-Jan-16 20:43:55

Don't give it a second thought! I imagine most of us have been there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now