Talk

Advanced search

Training organised for my day off

(17 Posts)
LilyW36 Sat 09-Jan-16 14:24:24

Just want to ask opinions as I'm unsure what to do...

Recently started a new job but I work part time (3 days a week) as I care for a relative on the other days. I have been told that I have been signed up for a compulsory training session with the other new starters but I have checked the date and this training is on one of my days off. It shouldn't be a long training session (I expect 2-3 hours maximum) but I'm worried about saying something about it being outside of my contracted hours because I'm not sure if the training would be easy to re-organise and I don't want to make a bad impression in my second week.

Would you say something or would you go to the training?

NinkyNonky Sat 09-Jan-16 14:27:27

If you can make it I would go but definitely remind them that it's on your day off and ask when you can take the time back.

Misty9 Sat 09-Jan-16 14:30:22

I had this when I started - four day induction and I work three days. I just did one day less the following week and rearranged childcare. Can you feasibly do the extra day? If you really can't then maybe ask if you can complete that training online or join that day of induction the next time it runs.

MrsHathaway Sat 09-Jan-16 14:41:37

Go, but cheerfully ask how days in lieu work there. Will it just be added to your leave entitlement or is there a time limit for taking it?

LilyW36 Sat 09-Jan-16 15:23:07

I doubt I will get the time back. My workplace is a school and I have a busy timetable all day so it is unlikely they will add it on. I will probably just go and keep quiet, as long as it doesn't happen again.

Lauren15 Sat 09-Jan-16 15:25:42

I would ask to be paid overtime. I'm a TA and when this has happened to me in the past, my head has insisted that I claim the hours.

fortyfourfeasts Sat 09-Jan-16 15:29:09

I work in a school. Am about to do some training in my day off and will be paid for attending. Think it's pretty much the done thing in schools? Worth asking if you will be paid, or have time off.

fortyfourfeasts Sat 09-Jan-16 15:29:46

*on

PotteringAlong Sat 09-Jan-16 15:30:53

I'm a teacher. I've attended exam board courses on my days off but have never been paid for attending or had days off in lieu.

Wolfiefan Sat 09-Jan-16 15:32:28

If you are a teacher you shouldn't be asked to do this.
Consult your Union.

fluffywhitekittens Sat 09-Jan-16 15:37:45

I work part time in a school, when we have INSET days on my day off I don't always go in. If I do go then I'm paid for it.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Sat 09-Jan-16 15:59:28

Teachers aren't paid an hourly rate as such so won't be paid extra. As a TA if I came on on one of my days off I took a different day off that week instead.

BikeRunSki Sat 09-Jan-16 16:02:57

I work p/t. Where compulsory training is arranged on my day off, I try to arrange childcare (not always possible, DS's nursery is full most days), and swap a day that week. I am fortunate enough that I work for a large enough organisation that training courses are generally repeated a few times in the year.

Buttercup27 Sat 09-Jan-16 16:05:42

I'm a teacher and often get asked to do courses on my days off. If I can get child care I go on them and claim for the hours if I can't get child care I don't go, which us ne er a problem.

Buttercup27 Sat 09-Jan-16 16:08:09

twowrongsdontmakearight that's wrong. Aa a teacher I claim back extra hours I work, such as courses or cover for other teachers. You are classed as internal supply teachers, who get a set supply rate.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 09-Jan-16 16:09:08

Go to your line manager and make him aware the training is on your day off, and tell him if you can/cant make it (worth mentioning if you can do it this time you are willing to do it, but it will require you to rearrange your carer responsibilities - extra brownie points!).

Also say, as I am new I don't know how these things and the extra hours work, can you tell me. Unless its in your contact you should be paid/TOIL

shatteredstudentmum Sat 09-Jan-16 16:24:38

I also work in school and have just claimed overtime for training when I'm not actually working, standard in our school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now