Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

manual or automatic??

(16 Posts)
Doublebubblebubble Wed 30-Dec-15 18:34:51

Well because this time of year is the time for new years resolutions - I have decided that mine will be you've guessed it To learn how to drive (at the grand old age of 29)

Which do you personally think is best ?

I understand if I pass with an automatic I cant drive a manual but if you did pass in a manual and got an automatic car did it make a whole bunch of difference.

I'm really keen to hear everyone's experiences

TeenAndTween Sat 02-Jan-16 17:18:47

Do you have any motor skills coordination issues?

If yes then I'd go for automatic, which is what we will be doing for DD1 later this year. She has dyspraxia and I think basic road awareness etc will be hard enough without having to change gears too. It will be interesting as we'll purchase an automatic to practice on so DH will have to teach me how to drive it too!

Otherwise I'd try manual first as then you will be permitted to drive either type which is more flexible. If you find it too hard you could always switch to automatic later.

bigTillyMint Sat 02-Jan-16 17:22:51

When we got our automatic, I hated it. I've got used to it now.

But it still doesn't have any poke for when I want to burn off at the lightsgrin

trappedinsuburbia Sat 02-Jan-16 17:26:33

Go manual if you can, I can only drive an automatic as for some reason I have crap co-ordination.
You are quite restricted in picking cars as the majority are manual.

BooAvenue Sat 02-Jan-16 17:27:43

Your auto doesn't have any poke Tilly? Mine is miles better than my previous manual! Maybe im just crap with gears grin

bigTillyMint Sat 02-Jan-16 17:31:36

Ah, I'm good on the gearstickwinkgrin

Sirzy Sat 02-Jan-16 17:33:47

I learnt to drive in a manual, drove one until I hurt my knee then moved to automatic. Went back to manual last year after 5 years and glad I did. I like the control in a manual.

I would always aim to learn in a manual unless there are reasons which would make that hard/impossible.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 02-Jan-16 17:36:07

Try the manual gearbox and see how you get on. That'd be the route to more choice. You can fall back to auto if you can't do it.

Shenanagins Sat 02-Jan-16 17:37:32

I would say go with manual as it gives you far more flexibility when buying/hiring cars in the future. We have one of each and I'm happy going from one to the other and in terms of driving don't have a preference.

BanningTheWordNaice Sat 02-Jan-16 17:41:41

As a mild dyspraxic who had to learn to drive in 3 months I took an automatic test, IME you do need a bigger engine if you want the same level of acceleration but I don't notice it so much at lights etc and often accelerate as quickly if not more quickly than others.

HermioneWeasley Sat 02-Jan-16 17:41:49

Definitely pass your test in a manual and then you can always buy an automatic if you want, but at least you've got the skills if you ever need to drive a manual.

mrssmith79 Sat 02-Jan-16 17:42:26

I'd go manual if I were you. Things like pool cars at work, hire cars, courtesy cars etc. aren't always automatic - you'll inevitably come across a situation involving one at some point in the future. You'd also be limiting yourself in terms of the auto market when time comes to buy a car.

EssentialHummus Sat 02-Jan-16 17:42:57

What giddy said. I love the faff control of driving a manual car, but if driving is just something you have to do which causes you to break out in hives, go with automatic. It seems like a big deal at the time but it really isn't.

BackforGood Sat 02-Jan-16 17:50:01

Definitely learn / pass your test in a manual. Otherwise you will be so restricted in what cars you can drive for the rest of your life (and also restricted in which instructor you can choose).

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sat 02-Jan-16 17:51:50

I definitely think you should start in a manual. There's no point restricting your choices less you have to. If you find you really struggle with the gears after trying for a good long while, switch.

Doublebubblebubble Mon 04-Jan-16 01:03:55

Thank you all for your responses!!! I'm so excited - I've booked manual lessons as well it does seem to make the most sense. Sooooo excited!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now