Talk

Advanced search

Any of our business?

(5 Posts)
DrCoconut Sun 20-Dec-15 22:32:48

We can hear sounds coming from next door, definitely people there. The thing is it had been unoccupied and we were led to believe (by the police who were investigating damage to the property earlier today) that there was still no one there. We haven't heard anything since the previous tenant unfortunately died, until today. So, do we ring the agency who let it tomorrow, just to make sure everything is OK or butt out, it is none of our business and perhaps there is a tenant there? They could have moved in today theoretically. I don't want to be the neighbourhood busybody but likewise don't want to ignore a problem.

AgentProvocateur Sun 20-Dec-15 22:36:14

You really need to ask?

DrCoconut Sun 20-Dec-15 23:28:35

Yes because unfortunately well meaning people get stung by their own good intentions sometimes. I find people can be quite aggressively private and would not take kindly to nosy neighbours if they found out we had rung about them. I previously had to ring the police about different neighbours and domestic violence (I thought he was going to kill her that night) and ended up being threatened for interfering when she left him. So I guess my question is if you were a legit tenant newly moved in or the agency having just let the house would you think I was a busy body or be pleased that people notice what's going on? And if you were a squatter would you put my windows through for reporting you?!

OurBlanche Mon 21-Dec-15 14:02:04

I always go by the rule "Be the kind of neighbour you hope you have"

I'd want my neighbours to report possible intruders in my property... and sod what some potential squatter might think about me - they tend not to break windows as that is illegal, peaceably squatting is not!

BlueSmarties76 Sat 09-Jan-16 13:15:25

Yes, I'd let them know just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now