Talk

Advanced search

A stranger called me a fatty!

(35 Posts)
CinnamonBunYou Sun 20-Dec-15 20:53:49

Went to a Christmas market with a friend today and was already feeling really self conscious and down about my weight. I'm usually either in my work uniform or out with DD so I don't pay much attention to my looks or what others think but today in normal people clothes without DD and having a day where I wasn't being a mum, I felt so insecure. I'm a size 16 down from a 20 after recently losing 2 stone.

My friend lit up a cig as we were walking around a corner and a man and woman dressed in smart business type clothes were walking towards and the man sneered (in a posh accent) 'oh look a fatty and a smoker' and the woman replied 'yes, how disgusting' and carried on walking.
I didn't think about it at first then I realised what they had said and told my friend who hadn't heard them and she was furious and said she was surprised I didn't give them a piece of my mind.

It's not what he said that's upset me because I know I am fat and obviously people are going to think it of me but it's the fact he actually said it out loud for me to hear, just to be cruel. As if that's all I am, just a fatty and as if that's an acceptable for an adult to do.

Why are people so bothered with others weight and health? I don't care if someone is fat or skinny, it makes no odds to me so why are some people so obsessed with what other people look like? It makes me so angry angry

Peyia Sun 20-Dec-15 21:50:34

That's awful! Sorry you were subjected to that. In my anger I would have wanted to tell him he's the epitome of ugly BUT in reality I probably wouldn't have been stunned into silence. It also angers me how some people think their shit don't stink, they are not perfect or better and the sooner people like them realise that I honestly believe the world would be a happier place flowers

Notrevealingmyidentity Sun 20-Dec-15 21:52:56

Personally I would have replied with " I can loose the weight but you will always be a cunt"

Peyia Sun 20-Dec-15 21:59:12

^^ This kicks ass!

LaurieFairyCake Sun 20-Dec-15 21:59:19

A size 16 is average size.

Average should only draw a comment from someone with inappropriate social skills.

CinnamonBunYou Sun 20-Dec-15 22:09:36

Peyia - thank you, I totally agree. It's got to me more than it should have! People don't realise one little comment can have a big impact on someone

Notrevealingmyidentity - haha that would have been a perfect response grin. I was a bit taken back by it so didn't have time to think of anything to say

Notrevealingmyidentity Sun 20-Dec-15 22:20:23

I'm afraid I am a terrible bitch so wouldn't have been able to stop myself grin

CinnamonBunYou Sun 20-Dec-15 22:29:21

LaurieFairyCake - yeah, he certainly has issues to feel the need to comment on a strangers weight. I hope it made him feel great about himself for the rest of the day hmm

Blarblarblar Sun 20-Dec-15 22:37:27

What a pompous ass. That must have felt really horrible. He's the dickhead and that woman is just as bad for colluding in his cruelty.
I wish them both huge yellow supurating arse plukes for Christmas.
You've lost 2 stone, you're doing great they however will always be nasty cunts.

amarmai Sun 20-Dec-15 23:09:04

Bet you're happier than them ,op. And i'm a 16 too! And wow for losing 2 stone!

CinnamonBunYou Sun 20-Dec-15 23:24:26

Blarblarblar - haha I wish them both that as well! Horrible twats

amarmai - I think I probably am! I don't have to walk around judging/insulting people to make me feel good. Thank you, I expect I will put it all back on this week fwink cake

Destinysdaughter Sun 20-Dec-15 23:26:36

Size 16 is the most common size for women in the UK ( me included!) you've done so well losing 2 stone already, please don't let them get to you, some people just enjoy looking down on others.

Fairiesarereal Sun 20-Dec-15 23:32:02

How very odd that they felt the need to comment - obviously something seriously lacking in their sad lives.

paulapompom Mon 21-Dec-15 09:29:21

cinamon congrats on your weight loss, that is brilliant. Those pair sound like proper insecure idiots - and cunts! I never think of cutting remarks til after the event, but who cares what they think anyway!!! Try not to dwell on this, we tend to focus on negative remarks and ignore/miss the positives. Merry Christmas xxxx

Goodbetterbest Mon 21-Dec-15 09:40:08

What a pair of cunts.

You could never be as vile as they are.

Congratulations on the weight loss, concentrate on feeling fab!

KoalaDownUnder Mon 21-Dec-15 09:47:49

If rather be fat than be nasty, any day.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 21-Dec-15 09:48:12

*I'd

KondosSecretJunkRoom Mon 21-Dec-15 10:00:44

You are looking at this the wrong way around. You should pity this couple. How utterly depressing that they fuel their sense of self by cruelly dehumanising strangers. What kind of a miserable, isolating world view that must result in. What a precarious position that must put their sense of well-being in, what happens to their confidence if they gain weight or become sub- optimal in some way? Clearly, they haven't cultivated any compassion to draw upon when they need to be resilient.

Fuck em.

NoahVale Mon 21-Dec-15 10:03:31

An old man in the supermarket told me I looked like I had been eating the cakes.
grumpy arse.

some people are just plain shits

Doublebubblebubble Mon 21-Dec-15 10:06:05

Take no notice. What arses. Congratulations on the weight loss x

Whoknewitcouldbeso Mon 21-Dec-15 10:07:41

Bloody hell they sound lovely!!! Who the fuck says stuff like that?

A size 16 is not that large though I will admit I am a bit judgey about smoking in public so may have thought something but certainly wouldn't have said it.

HeadDreamer Mon 21-Dec-15 10:17:22

A size 16 is average size.

Average doesn't mean it's not fat. Being fat is now the biggest threat to women's health. It's in the latest report on women's health
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35061167

In England in 2013, 56.4% of women aged 34-44 and 62% of women aged 45-54 were classified as overweight or obese.

So now being normal weight is not actually normal in the statistical sense. Most people would look at a normal weight person and think they are overweight. They have done studies on pictures of children from the 70s. Most think they look too skinny.

ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 21-Dec-15 10:37:19

Wow what an utterly vile pair. Surely they must have been drunk to.be sooooo rude.
Anyway forget it. He was the nob in this scenario, not you.
Hope he says it to.my size.20 tae Kwon do champion friend one day at just the moment she forgets her respect vows and floors him!

Whoknewitcouldbeso Mon 21-Dec-15 11:10:53

HeadDreamer I was a size 16 jeans with a BMI of less than 25, so certainly not 'fat'. Some women hold their weight around their thighs and arse. I was a 12 on top.

I think calling people far or overweight by their clothing size is pretty ridiculous. Even BMI is shown not to be that useful when comparing athletes for example.

Tinseleverywhere Mon 21-Dec-15 11:15:58

How horrible! The ideal thing would have been to say to your friend, "oh look a nasty git, and a bitch", and she could have replied "how disgusting".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now