Talk

Advanced search

cradle cap?

(29 Posts)
Doublebubblebubble Sat 19-Dec-15 16:46:32

Treat, pick or leave??

Ds is 9 weeks and he is starting to get cradle cap... Just curious to see what you'd do (or have done) for your dcs. I am going to treat - either with baby oil or dentinox x

ScarlettDarling Sat 19-Dec-15 16:48:05

Get a baby hair brush and brush his head with it, even if he's bald. You'll see oodles of skin flakes flying off, most satisfying!

We never needed needed any other treatment, the soft baby brush worked wonders.

cupcakesandwine Sat 19-Dec-15 17:46:56

Rub olive oil or baby oil over his scalp. Leave a minute or two then rub gently with a cotton wool bud soaked in more oil. It comes off easily. Definitely don't pick!

Nowthereistwo Sat 19-Dec-15 17:50:01

I did both of above. Olive oil on a Baby brush and brush in small circles. Also bought dentanox for the bath.

MyNameIsSuz Sat 19-Dec-15 18:31:40

We did coconut oil and rub with a muslin, it didn't really work. Dentinox did, we kept using it til he was two!

GoooRooo Mon 21-Dec-15 14:10:24

Treat. A pourty brush with dentinox cradle cap shampoo clears it in no time.

Doublebubblebubble Mon 21-Dec-15 19:42:07

I tried it with baby oil ( closest thing to hand) I have a soft brush, poured a few dots and began brushing gently. It was weird seeing how scaly he was but a least his head isn't fake tan orange anymore x the brush I used has gone yellowish though do I need to sterilize it (in a cold water sterilizer) and how often will I have to do it? My DD never had it...

DoodleCat Mon 21-Dec-15 19:50:56

Oh... We just left it. DH picked at it now and then, as he's prone to doing, but apart from that are just leaving it to grow out (9 months now & nearly all gone).

GoldPlatedBacon Mon 21-Dec-15 19:54:30

Dont pick as it may become infected and as someone who suffers with dermatitis in her scalp it becomes very sore if you do that!

I use Dentinox on my dd (my dd has a lot of hair and it makes it very shiny!) but I also put oil (usually olive oil) on her head and brush through it.

NuzzleandScratch Mon 21-Dec-15 19:54:44

Don't pick it, you can cause permanent scarring! As suggested above, olive oil best, then shampoo out.

SellFridges Mon 21-Dec-15 19:55:38

Nit comb. Most satisfying day of my life.

Llouh Mon 21-Dec-15 19:56:24

Almond oil got all of my DS cradle cap off

YeOldeTrout Mon 21-Dec-15 19:57:33

Leave, pick off when it gets embarrassing.

Pico2 Mon 21-Dec-15 20:10:45

We just left it. But I have seen babies with cradle cap that you couldn't really leave. So it must depend on how bad it is.

MrsMarigold Mon 21-Dec-15 20:18:32

I used almond oil, as it's not smelly, then washed her hair with Capasal (ask the pharmacist) regularly and it cleared quickly.

hufflebottom Mon 21-Dec-15 20:37:04

After using the cradle cap shampoo that was pointless on dd we used baby oil and a soft brush.

zzzzz Mon 21-Dec-15 20:40:57

Vaseline and a soft brush old toothbrush then wash with shampoo. I really don't get why people leave it.

KanyesVest Mon 21-Dec-15 20:43:39

Poor DS is 3.5 and we only had a decent go at his cradle cap last week blush

nolongerwaitingfornumber2 Mon 21-Dec-15 20:45:29

I actually used baby lotion and rubbed with towel. It worked wonders, wasn't as greasy and smelt amazing.

3sugarsplease Mon 21-Dec-15 20:47:04

Baby oil and a plastic nit comb. - works a treat!

Etak15 Mon 21-Dec-15 20:51:56

Only one of mine has had cradle cap - so tempting to pick it! I was keen to try the natural route, almond oil didn't work, olive oil good but bit smelly and looks greasy! So I went for dentinox, cleared it up really quickly.

Citybaby Mon 21-Dec-15 20:57:57

I found this www.pourty.co.uk/products/cradle-cap-brush/ the only thing that's worked on my 2 dds repetitive cradle cap, finally got rid of it after trying detinox on its own, oil and brush, etc. The trick was to wet the hair, add detinox, leave for a couple of minutes then brush with the brush, then rinse. Took all the scabs away and they haven't come back. Probably works using a normal soft brush too, but I do like the idea of a specific brush for it that I can keep by the bath just in case.

Dungandbother Mon 21-Dec-15 20:58:41

I use Blue Aveeno on everything. It is brilliant stuff. Cream, leave, brush with a proper old fashioned real bristle brush or one with a mixture of real and nylon bristle. Baby brushes aren't stiff enough to lift the skin.

Do treat, don't pick. Brush hair regularly. DD never got it. DS still can age 5 cause I never have the need to brush his hair.

Strangertides1 Tue 22-Dec-15 05:19:01

We message in olive oil and gentle brushed using a not comb. It's worked really well for us.

Doublebubblebubble Tue 22-Dec-15 06:09:35

Any ideas about what to do with his brush or should I just chuck it and get a new one?? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now