Maybe Baby?

(8 Posts)
GinIsABreakfastFood Tue 15-Dec-15 14:33:09

I am 33, and DH is 35. We had talked about starting TTC in about 2 years. The past year or so has been full of upheaval and some pretty major stresses, and it only just feels like we are starting to find our feet. Things aren’t great financially yet and we are just starting to look for our first house, so we wanted to allow time to get ourselves sorted and allow the dust to settle before trying for a baby.

I have, however, just found out that there is a history of early menopause in my family, so I may not have as much time as I thought. Do we stick to the plan and wait, or should we worry less about our financial situation and more that if we wait, we might miss our chance? I never understood the biological clock thing before, but now I feel like I am a ticking timebomb, and just don’t know what to do!

Iggi999 Tue 15-Dec-15 17:58:03

Can you split the difference, just wait one year? Although I had my first when older than you, I do wish I'd started a bit earlier. Especially if you want more than one DC. Is it worth having some kind of fertility check done!

GinIsABreakfastFood Fri 18-Dec-15 21:00:42

Thanks, Iggi999. I should.... but am also a bit scared to, just in case!! I was never certain certain I wanted DCs until the possibility maybe I might never have them....

Finallyonboard Fri 18-Dec-15 21:06:52

I would never put off trying TTC. I was pregnant within a month of trying with my first DC. Decided to Wait until she was three to try for another, assuming it'd be as easy this time around. I'm not 35 yet but have had a really difficult time, lots of miscarriages and will be going for IVF in the new year. Don't make my mistake, if you want DC, try immediately.

Brighit Fri 18-Dec-15 21:12:54

I would definitely opt for a fertility check too. I know my friend had one last year as she is the same age as me (37) with no dc yet.

Early menopause also seems to run in my family - both my granny and mum by 40 had no more periods.

BikeRunSki Fri 18-Dec-15 21:13:21

Do it now. If you do have an early menopause, there'll be nothing you can do about it later but you will be able to get by for a while.

What will you regret most - not having a baby, or not having a holiday/ buying a house in 2016?

BumWad Fri 18-Dec-15 21:15:25

Start trying now. I started TTC at 28, eventually had a baby at 32. It can take longer than you think or of course you might get pregnant first go

katieferg81 Sun 31-Jan-16 17:05:15

As somebody who is nearly 35 and has TTC for the last 3 years currently in the early stages of a fertility clinic ref, if I had my time again I wouldn't have waited. Some people concieve at the drop of a hat others like me don't, unfortunately you never know which you'll be until you actually TTC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now