Talk

Advanced search

When relatives buy gifts for your teens and all they want is cash

(24 Posts)
BrendaandEddie Mon 14-Dec-15 10:24:32

yes yes first world problem, ungrateful etc. Don't bother to post all that.

It ends up as so wasteful though as they dont WANT the present and it just either sits around/goes on ebay etc

Why won't people just realise that since time immemorial teens want MONEY

Whoknewitcouldbeso Mon 14-Dec-15 10:27:10

Perhaps because they realise if they give money it has to look to be a generous amount, ie £20/£30/£40 perhaps even more. Most people would rather try and find a present that looks generous but costs a bit less.

BrendaandEddie Mon 14-Dec-15 10:27:28

not so - we have a limit in our family

Sirzy Mon 14-Dec-15 10:27:34

You say thank you.

If they really don't want it you send it to a charity shop.

BrendaandEddie Mon 14-Dec-15 10:27:47

quite a low amount

BrendaandEddie Mon 14-Dec-15 10:28:35

sigh - i know sirzy.
I know thats the deal. If only they would ASK. I wouldnt dream of choosing for a teen

Whoknewitcouldbeso Mon 14-Dec-15 10:30:18

Plus if you play the online store deals and discount codes cleverly you can purchase goods for a much better price than the RRP.

If you purchase through Quidco or similar you can also earn cash back on purchases. There are many many advantages to buying presents over cash. My sister for example will purchase most of her gifts a year in advance in the sales as she has a very limited budget and this works best for her.

VulcanWoman Mon 14-Dec-15 10:30:54

I think Who has hit the nail on the head.

Sirzy Mon 14-Dec-15 10:31:10

Why not give them suggestions of presents they will like? Some people don't like just giving money.

BrendaandEddie Mon 14-Dec-15 10:33:06

i know. I wish they would snap out of it grin

ovenchips Mon 14-Dec-15 10:38:12

I guess it depends on why they are buying presents: maybe they don't understand what teenagers want, or they think it's a cop-out giving money or the reasons other posters have given.

But if you already have a spending limit, ie already have a sort of rule for present giving in place, could you put forward a cash only from xx age suggestion? For next year obv.

Holstein Mon 14-Dec-15 10:38:15

You should have sent out your Christmas cards early, with a lovely rhyme in, begging for money, a la weddings wink

BrendaandEddie Mon 14-Dec-15 10:39:36

lol

A nice ditty

Gramgram Mon 14-Dec-15 18:34:08

You'll have to tell your relatives what your teenagers would prefer, and perhaps rather than saying money ask to gift vouchers for shops or cinema tokens. To some people just giving money isn't part of the present giving experience.

Also relatives like a thank you email or text, so the teenagers may get what they want next yea,r if they thank the present giver this year for the socks, bubble bath or other naff present they get this year.

Sparklingbrook Mon 14-Dec-15 18:50:13

We do the big voucher swap. The relatives tell us what vouchers their teens would like and we tell the family what vouchers our teens want.

I don't feel it's very Christmassy. It's just swapping money about. grin

TBF money/vouchers are very boring particularly as the shops are shut on Christmas day.

Sparkletastic Mon 14-Dec-15 18:56:04

I dunno - ILs are insisting on getting HMV vouchers for my DDs (12 and 9) this year - I wish I had the courage to say 'if you can't be arsed at least give them cash!'

ShootTheMoon Mon 14-Dec-15 18:57:11

You need to buy your relatives a copy of Scroogenomics which explains what a massive amount of waste occurs at Christmas, due to the difference in value between the cash cost of a gift and its perceived value for the recipient. Subtle hint grin

MuttonCadet Mon 14-Dec-15 18:57:27

I was thinking "how ungrateful", but the voucher thing would work a treat.

Lots of people don't like to give money.

Sparklingbrook Mon 14-Dec-15 18:59:47

I am going to commit the MN crime of packing it all in as they get to 18 anyway.

blobbityblob Mon 14-Dec-15 19:13:44

I have one dsis who tells me straight - they'd like cash in an envelope. And another dsis who says, they don't usually get many presents, so nice for them to have something to unwrap, but I don't know what, use your imagination.

I prefer the first option. It is slightly crass but I'd rather they had something they wanted. My imagination can't imagine what a 15 year old might like for Christmas. I don't suppose it's tea coloured tights and bath salts like I used to get. They enjoy going out on Boxing Day en masse and spending.

Sparklingbrook Mon 14-Dec-15 19:15:36

I think 'use your imagination' when it comes to Teens is very stressful. I have two of my own but would hate to guess what anyone elses's wanted.

VintageDresses Mon 14-Dec-15 19:17:16

Because even teens who think all they want is cash enjoy a couple of little surprises to open?

tiggerkid Sat 02-Jan-16 08:41:15

Count small blessings: I buy presents for relatives but my son gets nothing from any of them at all. Whatever your relatives give your kids, at least they went through the thought of actually buying something.

GinIsTheBestChristmasSpirit Sat 02-Jan-16 09:47:53

I compromise. I give a voucher for my nieces for the current favourite clothes store/music store (so I know the cash will go on an actual gift) then I buy a fivers worth of tat to open ( cheap hair stuff, nail varnish etc. I see them often enough to note the current trend in tat) They seem happy with this so I've kept it up. They are young teens though, maybe it will change later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now