Talk

Advanced search

question I out Dh working

(9 Posts)
pcbmc00 Sun 13-Dec-15 07:03:42

Dh offered job away 28 days and home 28 days we have 3 ds under 6 and I work ft. Ok support but good structure around childcare/nursery etc. My job slight bit flexible regards working from home etc. I think I can manage and do all work with DC etc but would it have an effect on them he gone for that long.

When he would be home he would be 100% around very involved. Currently he commuting 2 hours a day and usually 2 of children asleep before he home and he gone before they get up.. Decision up to me now... Anyone else have this working relationship how does it work??

wannabestressfree Sun 13-Dec-15 07:15:13

Exhusband worked abroad and away and it really affected the youngest. He broke his heart every time he left and I had to manage him.
Not a fan sorry.....

WeThreeMythicalKings Sun 13-Dec-15 07:17:25

Would he be able to come home at weekends? If he can I think it could work.

pcbmc00 Sun 13-Dec-15 07:19:31

No he would be gone for full 28 days at a time but then back home28 days.

WeThreeMythicalKings Sun 13-Dec-15 07:30:22

DH used to travel abroad for work (export sales) and once or twice a year he could be away for up to 3 weeks. I didn't like it much but I coped.

Your DC will have the bonus of him always there for 28 days. I'd have loved that, as would the DCs.

pcbmc00 Sun 13-Dec-15 07:33:09

That seems to be swaying it for me slightly.. When he would be off he would be around 100% of time..

CrownofStars Mon 14-Dec-15 17:00:35

We had a very similar set up when the kids were small, he was away for 3 weeks and back for two, and actually it worked really well. It wasn't so long that we needed a lot of readjusting on his return and the pay-off of a big chunk of time at home made it worthwhile.

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Mon 14-Dec-15 17:08:14

It worked in the short term for us. I wouldn't like to do it more than a year though.

Presumably when he's home the DC's would still have to go to nursery/childminder, or at least, you'd still have to pay nursery/childminder to hold the place.

My job allowed me to build up extra hours so I had them 'banked' for when DH was away, if I needed to leave early or have time off.

DH when he was at home, had a few days off, then fully immersed himself into the role of 'housekeeper' while I was at work.

It's doable but was far from ideal for us.

stubbytoes Mon 14-Dec-15 17:14:15

It wouldn't work for us. Not sure about the dc but I'd definitely miss DH if he was away for weeks at a time. No sex for a month at a time... definitely not for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now