Talk

Advanced search

Ds2 has won a school award...

(8 Posts)
schilke Mon 07-Dec-15 14:37:16

but he doesn't want to go to the awards evening to collect it! He's 15 and has won an award. Dh is working and I don't drive, so we'll have to walk there and back - 40 mins either way. That's fine to do, but he just doesn't want to go. Dh thinks he should and I'm on the fence!

The evening is very faffy. Ds2 won an award a couple of years ago so knows how long it all takes and he'd rather go to football training! Lots of awards, photos being taken and rather boring. The letter has a reply slip which says my son/daughter will/will not attend....so the option is there.

So go or not go?

ThruUlikeAshortcut Mon 07-Dec-15 14:40:08

Don't go - he will still get his award, some people just don't like ceremonies. Well done to your ds smile

schilke Tue 08-Dec-15 00:00:20

I think I'm more on ds2's side than dh's. I never won a prize at school, but would have hated collecting it if I had have won one!

ThruUlikeAshortcut Tue 08-Dec-15 00:44:37

And how boring are those award ceremonies? I don't blame him for not wanting to go!

celtictoast Wed 09-Dec-15 21:17:32

If you win something I think it's best to attend the ceremony if you can as it shows you value the award and are pleased to receive it.

BrianButterfield Wed 09-Dec-15 21:20:09

But does he value the award and is he pleased to receive it?

MrsKCastle Wed 09-Dec-15 21:27:59

At 15 I think it should be his choice. Does he value the award? I had a similar choice at a similar age and chose not to attend. I guess it also depends on his relationship with the school. Would he be letting them down if he wasn't there?

schilke Thu 10-Dec-15 13:55:37

Thank you for your input. He has decided not to go. He has a pretty stressful week next week with mocks and a grade 8 exam. I'm not sure he does value the award. He is very self motivated so does not need rewards/awards. He likes school, but simply hates fuss and people looking at him. He got player of the year last year and looked horrified when he went up to get it and that was only in front of his team!

I'm sure, deep down, he's pleased to get an award, but walking across a stage to receive it would stress him out. Didn't get any choice at my school as prize giving was during the school day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now