Talk

Advanced search

Dd barely slept and booked day out

(20 Posts)
MrsDeathOfRats Fri 04-Dec-15 05:33:56

She's 3.4. Went to bed late at 8.20 and woke at 3. Toilet and water. Has been fussing and crying every 20 mins since. So I've not slept. She keeps saying she is scared of the outside and other stuff she comes up to make me stay.

We have a full day out planned at a local activity farm. All Christmas related and all energetic stuff. Big place, excitable etc. I have paid £40 for the day already plus packed lunch, plus fuel.

She will be exhausted by the time we actually need to leave. It's a lot of money to write off and she is actually very excited about going.

goingcocoloco Fri 04-Dec-15 05:45:49

Good morning smile

Would she nap in the car? You could leave slightly earlier, hope she falls asleep on the way there and then sit in the car park for a while.

Slowjog Fri 04-Dec-15 05:56:07

I'd send her as she will probably manage, then collapse after. Can you do beans on toast, then bath,, story, bed as soon as she walks through the door later. Early night

parrotonmyshoulder Fri 04-Dec-15 06:04:00

I'd take her, definitely, in the hopes of getting a better night tonight! My DS (3.6) would be a bit grumpy at times, over excited and manic at others, and probably fall asleep at odd times (especially in the car). But we'd get through it and enjoy lots of it.

manana21 Fri 04-Dec-15 06:10:55

Agree, accept her behaviour will be off, but go with the goal of wearing her out - unless you can get money back which I'm assuming you can't. If she's grumpy, make sure you say it's because you didn't sleep well - my dd does this, saying she's scared, I found a reward of sleeping by herself worked for us but had to be every morning at that age.

Needtobebetter Fri 04-Dec-15 06:14:30

I'd take her, it'll distract her from being so tired which will probably be very hard work if you stay at home. Plus, it will give you a more accurate measure of whether she's poorly or not. She's more likely to just get on with it if you're out and about. I'm always surprised at how little sleep my 3yo can manage some days.

Fairylea Fri 04-Dec-15 06:16:25

I'd go. My son is 3.5 and has that sort of night all the time smile (he does have autism however) and we just have to carry on as normal or we'd never do anything smile you might find the excitement perks her up a bit and tires her out even more so she sleeps a bit better tonight.

IguanaTail Fri 04-Dec-15 06:26:42

I'd write it off. Nice film on, duvet etc.

drinkyourmilk Fri 04-Dec-15 06:39:40

I'd take her. I'd set off early in the hope she sleeps in the car, and have an extremely easy supper before early bed.
My bet is she will be fine, and then conk out in the car on the way home.
The worst bit for me would be keeping calm myself as I need sleep a much as kids do!

rudolphistheboss Fri 04-Dec-15 06:42:39

I'd take her but leave everything ready so when you get home tea bath and bed can happen quickly with no gaps.

Lots of high energy food in the pack up! 😊

NoahVale Fri 04-Dec-15 06:47:29

She will rally round, it will be tomorrow she is tired

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Fri 04-Dec-15 06:53:15

If you still have a pushchair, take it even if you haven't used it for months. Even if she doesn't use it at the event itself, she can from car park to entrance etc. It also means you can push picnic, coats etc if she needs a carry.
Put her in leggings & a top so that if she falls asleep in the car on the way home, you can just pop her into bed.
Take calpol with you as well as a lot of snacks.
Will you be queuing for things once you're there? If so, take little toys or something to distract her in the queue as she is likely to find it even duller than usual.

Footle Fri 04-Dec-15 06:55:12

Of course it could turn out to be the day she got chicken pox ..

Passthevodkaagain Fri 04-Dec-15 06:55:40

Maybe she was excited and that's part of why she didn't sleep. I would take her no point wasting the money chances are she will enjoy it just be he'd work when you get home 😁

Passthevodkaagain Fri 04-Dec-15 06:56:00

Hard work

margaritasbythesea Fri 04-Dec-15 06:58:55

I'd much rather be out with an exhausted ratty child than at home with them by a mile.

Thatsnots suggestions are great.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Fri 04-Dec-15 07:01:52

I'd take her no question! It would be much harder stating at home.

My 5yo still occasionally has nights like this. At least now I can pack her off to school grin

MrsDeathOfRats Fri 04-Dec-15 08:22:55

Thanks for replies and suggestions!

She went back to sleep around 6 cos I was tired and let her cry for a bit so not certain she will nap in the car. Besides its about 20 mins away.
Can't use buggy as DS 14 months will be in it. I do have family help at the place so I won't be coping alone. But I know she's going to be hard work.

Hopefully she will perk up (as she is being moody now over breakfast) and enjoy it once were there.
Bag of happy food and snacks packed!
Thanks again.
We gonna go!!

puddingisgood Sat 05-Dec-15 08:43:56

How did the day out go MDOR?

MrsDeathOfRats Sat 05-Dec-15 17:43:51

Went really well in the end Thanks!

I'm prone to a bit of a panic grin

She thoroughly enjoyed it and fell asleep in the car on the way home.

Thanks all thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now