Talk

Advanced search

Should i get a sweep? Did it work for you? Experiences/info :)

(7 Posts)
mrsjoker35 Mon 30-Nov-15 09:46:31

Title ^^
Should i get a sweep?? Did a sweep work for you?? 40+1 weeks

Hi, it was my due date yesterday, and im still baby-less lol....
Everything is ready waiting for her. Bag is sitting next to my car seat blah blah...

Ive got a widwife appointment today, usually it's busy at the clinic, would they even preform a sweep there, or would i need to make an appointment specifically to get one? I don't even know how far, or even IF my babies head is engaged, or if im dilated... I really would like someone to have a wee look down there blush

Did you get a sweep? Not to sound wimpy but. Is it unpleasant as it sounds? ... Oh shut up! Your about to squeeze a full sized baby out you some time soon grin

as odd as it sounds i feel more nervous about a sweep than labor haha!

CastaDiva Mon 07-Dec-15 10:45:06

I found it remarkably unpleasant, but I should say that I was abused as a child and that kind of thing is difficult for me. Most people don't turn a hair. However, it didn't do any good. I had an ELCS at 40+15.

If your due date was only yesterday, I wouldn't worry. It may be a while yet. Best wishes.

alltouchedout Mon 07-Dec-15 11:01:10

I had a sweep with DS1 at 40+11, it caused mild cramping and a show but didn't work- he was born at 40+15 after pessary induction. Refused a sweep with DS2 who was born after spontaneous labour at 40+10, was offered a sweep at 40 exactly with DS3 and refused that (came under some pressure to have it done but it seemed daft to me, with my history I wouldn't have felt 'overdue' for another two weeks at least).

rampantrose Fri 22-Jan-16 02:27:16

I had 4 sweeps or more with my first and nothing happened. I begged for a sweep with baby 2 and I had a student midwife do it. I was 6 days late and I honestly didn't feel a thing. Laughed about how was pointless well 12 hours is later 13 minute labour and baby arrived! Best sweep I've weer had and didn't feel it lol xx good luck xx

rampantrose Fri 22-Jan-16 02:28:11

Sorry about spelling half asleep and using a new phone that hates me! blush

Wordsaremything Mon 25-Jan-16 21:23:28

I thought this was going to be something about chimneys and multi-fuel stoves !

bakingcupcakes Mon 25-Jan-16 21:53:21

I found it unpleasant. And it hurt. I think it got things started though. I was offered once I reached 40+7 and refused. In the end when I refused induction at 40+12 I accepted the sweep instead. That started mild cramps that night which went on for 2 days. Baby was born at 40+15. I found the sweep mentally worse than labour! Once in labour I didn't care who saw what.

Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now