Talk

Advanced search

Charity Shop Bargain too fancy?

(18 Posts)
AllOverDressedUp Sun 29-Nov-15 10:42:53

Does anyone know the etiquette around wearing expensive designer labels to social functions?

I popped into a local charity shop yesterday and found what I thought was a real bargain - a nice ladies suit; not work style, more the sort that is worn to weddings, garden parties and the like.

I do occasionally have to wear that sort of thing - my DH does the paperwork for a couple of local charities, and we get invites to the charity "do's" - garden parties, receptions and so forth - we're not in the same league as the local gentry/business owners etc who are invited along but it's nice to be asked and we obviously make the effort and get dressed up appropriately. I bought the suit with those events in mind.

Having got it home and checked out the designer, I've realised that it is much more expensive that I thought. It's a Presen suit - which sell for hundreds of £ brand new; often worn by mothers of the bridge/groom etc.

So my dilemma is, should I sell the suit (it's in perfect condition, obviously only worn once) or keep it, and wear it to an event where many of the other guests might recognise the designer and judge me for wearing something "too fancy"? It fits perfectly and really suits me - but is it a social faux pas to wear that sort of thing to an event where I am not a social equal?

Fiderer Sun 29-Nov-15 10:46:19

I'd think "Bugger them" & stick my chin out & enjoy wearing it.

If they're shallow enough to look down on you for it, more fool them.

MarkRuffaloCrumble Sun 29-Nov-15 10:47:01

Wtf? I think you're over thinking this by a long way.

You bought something for a bargain price that you like and that fits you well.

Bugger what anyone else thinks. Not sure why you think anyone would judge you or even know how much your suit should have cost or whether it's new.

It's really nobody's business and I don't think anyone will take any notice of where your clothes come from. The part about not being a social equal sounds like something from Downton Abbey not 2015.

wonkylegs Sun 29-Nov-15 10:54:03

Just wear it, enjoy wearing it and don't overthink it.

AlphaOmicronPi Sun 29-Nov-15 10:55:16

Social equal? WTAF? Do you live in Downton Abbey?

I think you're overthinking this. It's a nice suit, you look good in it, who gives a stuff what anyone else thinks? And I bet they won't think anything anyway. unless they're twats .

whatdoIget Sun 29-Nov-15 10:58:46

Wear what you like! The whole ideas above your station thing is very old-fashioned. Have some pride and self confidence. Don't do yourself down smile

Gunpowder Sun 29-Nov-15 11:02:41

Well done you on finding a bargain, you must have a good eye. I would defo wear it and feel fabulous. If anyone judges you SOD THEM.

TheCrowFromBelow Sun 29-Nov-15 11:05:02

There is no rule that the hoi polloi must wear polyester. Not that I believe in the "hoi polloi" to start with.
You have an invitation to these dos, therefore you wear whatever suits the event and you are equal to any other person attending.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 29-Nov-15 11:05:46

Unless you tell people or show them the label they won't know.

And even if they did know so what?

Optimist1 Sun 29-Nov-15 11:17:07

The Queen is entitled to wear Primark. I am entitled to wear Armani. You can wear what you like. Without apology or apprehension!

BrianButterfield Sun 29-Nov-15 11:18:31

True gentry - as opposed to nouveau riche - would be thrilled to know you had found such a bargain grin

Nadienoo1990 Sun 29-Nov-15 11:22:06

I'd wear it. grin

AgentProvocateur Sun 29-Nov-15 11:32:00

"social equal"? The class system is alive and kicking on MN. I can't get why you'd feel inferior to someone because they have more money / a bigger house / or what. confused

AllOverDressedUp Sun 29-Nov-15 16:58:01

Thanks all flowers

The area I live in is a bit "Downton Abbey" - people are judged by the length of time they have lived here, and accepted or not into certain circles based on their family history - but nothing will ever change if noone ever challenges it, so I'll wear my OXFAM Presen suit with pride and the support of MN'ers!

TomHaverford Sun 29-Nov-15 17:07:10

Local gentry?!

AllOverDressedUp Sun 29-Nov-15 17:32:44

'Fraid so, tom lots of big houses/farms that have been in families for generations, the owners rent out their farm land and holiday homes on their property. They all know each other and look down on "newcomers" - the term "new money" is actually used in general conversation!

They spend their time running their business, and maybe a smallholding as a reminder of when the family had a working farm, and some are involved in local politics as Parish Councillors and the like. They also host all manner of events throughout the year to raise money for various causes, and token numbers of local people who do voluntary work, like my OP, are invited along to these events as a "thank you" for their work. It's very "them and us", although everyone is lovely, if a bit patronising!

The food and drink is good though and I love getting all dressed up to see how the other half live!

Trills Sun 29-Nov-15 17:52:50

You like it. So wear it.

I'd give the same advice if you'd found something you liked and that you thought looked good from George at Asda.

Actually if it was from Asda there's probably less chance of it being recognised...

GlowWine Sun 29-Nov-15 18:01:49

allover I wonder if you bought the green present suit I eyed up in oxfam last week grin. The jacket still had its original price tag on as well as the oxfam one and I was amazed at the original figure! Enjoy and let them guess where your new money comes from wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now