Talk

Advanced search

Staff xmas lunch, awkward?

(11 Posts)
TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 10-Nov-15 13:28:27

Bit of a dilemma. I run a (small) business, 3 of us in total. I've organised a xmas lunch with myself and my employees and put up on fb asking if the place that we're going to is any good. A close friend of mine responded and asked if she could come along too (smiley face, wink face) I said yes of course, it would be lovely to have her! Then I realised she might be expecting me to pay for her too, as I'm paying for my staff. I can't afford to pay for another but I don't know how to say : you're welcome to come along but you're paying for yourself. How do I put this tactfully? Can I?

ZenNudist Tue 10-Nov-15 13:29:58

I think you should just see your staff not your friend. It's supposed to be team morale building and bringing a mate could actually do the reverse.

Bubbletree4 Tue 10-Nov-15 13:30:40

Ask her to transfer you the money in advance?

StayWithMe Tue 10-Nov-15 13:31:51

Have a quick look at the menu and send her a wee message saying you're expecting the meal to cost @£xx, just in case she was wondering how much she'd need to bring with her. Ps "don't forget your drink money too" smile

bellabelly Tue 10-Nov-15 13:32:10

Won't it be a bit weird for your friend to come to the work do? It'll change the dynamics. Arrange to see her separately, when you can talk properly - at the lunch your attention should be on your employees, I think. I reckon the winky smiley face means she wasn't being that serious about tagging along to your works lunch.

bellabelly Tue 10-Nov-15 13:32:45

oops, zennudist got in there first.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Tue 10-Nov-15 13:43:16

Bit weird to have a work xmas meal with the bosses mate

CuntryLiving Tue 10-Nov-15 13:52:33

Why would you invite your friend along to your works xmas do? That's really weird. I'd message back and say on reflection, it should be just a work thing.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Tue 10-Nov-15 13:53:30

Agree, you can't invite a friend to a work do, unless you allow all staff to do the same. That's weird.

NickNacks Tue 10-Nov-15 13:56:26

You can't have your friend along, too odd and not appropriate.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 10-Nov-15 18:55:24

Zen- i didn't think of it like that, you're right.

Buddabelly- yes that's what I'll do, then i won't feel guilty.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll invite her out, just the two of us again some other time. I'll leave work with work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now