Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My neighbour is threatening to kill my cat :(

(44 Posts)
Fallen89 Sun 01-Nov-15 09:01:47

I have a neighbour with a very exspensive looking motorbike, which he obviously takes a lot of pride in, unfortunately my cat sits underneath his bike when it's raining (the cat has access to come and go from the house but chooses to sit underneath the bike than come inside)
My neighbour had a word with me about it saying that if the cat scratches it, then he'll have no choice but to come to me about it. Yesterday he came up to me saying the cat had been climbing up it as there were pawprints and mud on it. I explained that I could sympathise and I could understand why he was concerned, but there's not a lot I could do as he's a cat and I can't keep him from going underneath it. He then said if he does scratch it I'll no longer have a cat because he'll stab it sad
I'm really concerned. I've been keeping my cat locked inside, but this can't go on forever. He's very much an outdoors cat and it's not fair to keep him inside.
I don't know what to do, if I let him out I'm putting him at risk.
I've even been thinking about getting him a new owner, but both myself and my daughter adore him and it would be heartbreaking to see him go, I just don't feel like I have much choice sad

Taylor22 Sun 01-Nov-15 09:03:34

What an absolute psycho. Call 101 and log the threat. Say that you felt intimidated and afraid of him. That he was very threatening.

99percentchocolate Sun 01-Nov-15 09:05:43

I would call 101. He sounds nuts.

ThisFenceIsComfy Sun 01-Nov-15 09:08:01

Keep the cat inside and call 101

Devilishpyjamas Sun 01-Nov-15 09:09:40

Yes log it.

I had problems with our neighbour & my cat. I offered some sensible solutions & asked him what he would like me to do. & he said 'nothing, I just want to make a point'

So have left him to stew

Of course his motorbike never gets mud on it when he drives it does it?

Actually could you get a water pistol & spray your cat everytime he sits underneath there - I know it's not nice, but better than coming into contact with your neighbour. Or call your cat away & treat every time you see it there (for the more positive approach).

Or tell your neighbour to smear his bike in lion dung wink

Sanchar Sun 01-Nov-15 09:09:57

call 101. they will send a community safety officer (can't remember the official title from when i called them) round to talk to him.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 01-Nov-15 09:10:09

Explain the cat wouldn't scratch it. When cats jump on solid objects such as car bonnets, motorbikes they keep their claws in. They only need claws out for stuff such as fences, trees where digging the claws in will actually gain them some extra purchase/grip. Cats aren't stupid and they know a solid metal object when they see it.

Maybe suggest he gets a motorbike cover if he's that worried.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 01-Nov-15 09:12:16

Actually the water pistol maybe isn't a bad idea. Get one for the neighbour and give him permission to use it. Depending how acceptable that is to you? Cats learn quick and hopefully should start to associate sitting there with getting squirted. Your neighbour will also feel he's doing something against the cat so he will be happy but cat won't actually be harmed.

BrianCoxReborn Sun 01-Nov-15 09:14:11

"Stab my cat, say goodbye to your bike" <passive aggressive smile>

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sun 01-Nov-15 09:17:19

I was also going to suggest he gets a bike cover if he's that precious about a hunk of metal. It might not even have been your cat that put the paw prints on it, given that many cats are outdoor cats. Just because yours sits under there doesn't mean it was yours that climbed on it.

Definitely ring 101 to log the threat. If he carries out the threat, or anything happens to your cat such as it going missing or sustaining mysterious injuries, they'll then know who to go straight to. I doubt he'll do anything though - he can hardly ride the bike while he's in prison, can he?

Fallen89 Sun 01-Nov-15 09:17:43

I have thought about calling 101, but I just don't want to make the problem worse for myself. I know it sounds ridiculous but if he's capable of saying stuff like that then I don't want to aggitate him more and worry for my own safety.
It's only myself and my daughter living In the property and I feel quite vulnerable

Devilishpyjamas Sun 01-Nov-15 09:19:48

He won't know you've phoned 101. You can just log it.

Fallen89 Sun 01-Nov-15 09:20:52

I had also explained that I've seen many other cats around, so it may not be mine. He said mines the only one that goes underneath it.

Fallen89 Sun 01-Nov-15 09:21:47

Ah ok I didn't realise I could just log it, I'll do that then, Thankyou

Sparklingbrook Sun 01-Nov-15 09:23:10

YY ring 101 and at least get it logged.

Does he actually use the bike and get it dirty? confused

Fallen89 Sun 01-Nov-15 09:28:43

He does use it, but He's forever cleaning it

chillycurtains Sun 01-Nov-15 09:32:45

I would report it with 101 but personally I would be inclined to tell him that you have reported him. I would definitely have a second conversation with him. If he threatens your cat again you could suggest that if the cat gets hurt then the bike will also get damaged.
Could you also offer to buy a bike cover for him if you wanted to be extra nice? And for you perhaps look at get CCTV aimed at the bike specifically. He's unlikely to mind at I doubt he intends to hurt the cat and has free CCTV if anything happens to his bike...although you could lose the footage to teach him a lesson. grin

Fallen89 Sun 01-Nov-15 09:37:44

He has a cover that he puts on it sometimes, but the cat gets underneath it apparently.
I don't really think there's much reasoning with him about it.

laflaca Sun 01-Nov-15 09:47:18

Speak to your community police officer and explain how vulnerable and anxious he has made you feel. They may know him already.

Bunbaker Sun 01-Nov-15 10:03:18

Does is house have a garage? If so, why doesn't he put the bike in there?

A cat sitting under a bike isn't going to scratch it, especially if it has a cover over it. Also WhoThe is correct, cats don't scratch objects they can't stick their claws into. I often find paw prints on my car from the cat over the road. I just find it funny (but I love cats).

This man sounds like a nutcase.

yeOldeTrout Sun 01-Nov-15 10:12:37

Aren't the seats on a motorbike leather, is that what the motorbike owner is bothered about getting scratched?

If not your cat then another could get to his precious bike, I think, so dispatching your cat won't really solve much. He needs to protect his bike from all cats. Once it's covered the cat won't jump up from underneath.

morecoffeethanhuman Sun 01-Nov-15 10:54:51

If hes got a cover and he's bothered to secure it properly then your cat cant get to the body work or the seat, neither can the elements - its what a decent cover is for!!
Its outside so of course your cats going to sit under it - speaking as someone who doesn't like cats ... He needs to build a bridge and get the hell over it!!
Personally id log the threat with 101 (1st time I've ever told someone to log anything!) and I would tell him if anything happened to the cat his precious bike would be a lot more at risk!! but I don't suffer fools!

AnotherEmma Sun 01-Nov-15 11:03:59

Bloody hell! Definitely log it with 101. Tell your neighbour to keep his bike in the garage (if he has one) or keep the cover on it at all times, if he's so precious about the stupid thing.

If someone threatened to hurt one of my cats I'd be fucking livid.

Try and be calm but clear and tell him it's not on for him to make those kinds of threats.

DreamingOfThruxtons Sun 01-Nov-15 11:06:43

As a (very grudging) ex-biker, I apologise on behalf of bikers everywhere- what an absolute tool! He should be covering it properly and securely with a cover anyway, as has already been pointed out- especially if he wants to keep it pristine. Or he can shell out for a bloody garage.

Sparklingbrook Sun 01-Nov-15 11:08:01

YY if he's that precious about it it should be covered to protect against the elements and bird poo etc, never mind cats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now