Talk

Advanced search

Is this a good idea?

(22 Posts)
Jo4040 Thu 29-Oct-15 21:58:39

Organising my DS birthday party.

Hes going to be 5 in December.

I was thinking about partybags. I thought instead of spending about 20/30 pounds on absolutely pointless tat in party bags to spend the money on providing each child with a 'handwarmer'.

I have had this idea because it will be December, dark, cold and they will be coming out of a nice warm party k to the cold December air.

I have found them on ebay for £18 for forty. (I have 40 guests).

So do you think this is a good idea? Or shall I not bothered because its actually quite weird....

BackforGood Fri 30-Oct-15 00:49:10

I think it's a bit odd, tbh.....
Stick with a pencil, a ballon and some sweets if you really must have a party bag, which I don't think you do

NeuNewNouveau Fri 30-Oct-15 00:58:15

A bit strange to be honest. If you don't want to do the standard crap what about books? You can buy sets and split them?

2legit2knit Fri 30-Oct-15 01:00:58

Weird. Sweetie cones always go down well.

SmallLegsOrSmallEggs Fri 30-Oct-15 01:02:47

A book.
Or novelty warm hats if it a cold night?
Gloves?
But handwarmers don't really say party to me. That said kids may well think they are cool.

What if they go off by mistake and melt the cake?grin

Jo4040 Fri 30-Oct-15 09:33:59

Ok. The resounding answer is ... Weird... I was also thinking hot warmchocolate to walk out with but I'm thinking of the health and safety issues there. I like the idea of warm hats and gloves.

If I could get away with no party bags it would be great.... I'm just a little worried about the end of the party,arnt the party bags the signal that the party is drawing to a close once party bags have been given out?

ImperialBlether Fri 30-Oct-15 09:37:06

Don't give them a hot drink - some will be in cars and there won't be anywhere to put it.

Just accept you have to do the party bags - hand them out on the door and they'll all leave happily (and on time.)

Jo4040 Fri 30-Oct-15 09:38:09

Imperial your right. I try to hard to hard to think out of the box and then end up tying myself in knots.

PurpleDaisies Fri 30-Oct-15 09:42:44

No need for party bags-just loudly announce you're all going to sing happy birthday one last time, or shout three cheers for the birthday boy and then it's time to go.

Or cut up the cake, wrap in napkins and hand that out.

iwouldgoouttonight Fri 30-Oct-15 09:43:10

Are they those ones you sort of snap and they warm up? My DCs had those in their Christmas stockings last year and loved them! maybe we're weird

Jo4040 Fri 30-Oct-15 09:47:53

Iwouldgooittonight. Yeah they are the snap ones! Literally ALL the guests will be walking home as the venue is right in the middle of our community, that's why I thought about hand warmers for the journey home...

Yh I could just cut the cake up I suppose purpleDaisies. That's my best bet!

Lweji Fri 30-Oct-15 09:51:03

Jut put chocolate and sweets in the bags. The kids will be pleased.

I'm sure most parents will have thought of gloves...

None of them will thank you.

dodobookends Fri 30-Oct-15 10:10:02

How about little Christmas decorations that they can hang on their tree when they get home? Hobbycraft sells loads of them that you can decorate/colour in. You get them in packets and they work out really cheap.

cece Fri 30-Oct-15 10:16:57

How about some finger lights?

DoreenLethal Fri 30-Oct-15 10:20:04

Party bags consist of, slice of cake and a hand warmer. Job done.

Jo4040 Fri 30-Oct-15 10:33:06

Dodobookends. Bloody LOVE it grin

Jo4040 Fri 30-Oct-15 10:34:18

Oooo...maybe a cracker in the bag aswell. Christmas themed. My DD birthday is Christmas day and its her first. I could so incorporate Christmas into this party!

Jo4040 Fri 30-Oct-15 10:35:32

( I have a to be Ds 5 year old - its his party in the middle of December and a soons to be one year old Xmas day )

Wtfmummy Fri 30-Oct-15 11:37:00

I kinda think it's a good idea - my 4 year old son loves those - his dad has them. I think little boys like those kinds of thing. That and a bit of cake - fab!

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 30-Oct-15 11:39:07

I never do party bags because I can't afford it. No one's complained yet.

BertrandRussell Fri 30-Oct-15 11:43:28

I think it's a brilliant idea!

The most successful party bag thing I ever did was some impulse-bought mini jars of jam- the sort you get in hotels. For some reason, the kids loved them!

dodobookends Fri 30-Oct-15 15:16:40

Yeah - tree decorations, mini crackers, chocolate coins, get thee down the pound shops!

Love the mini jars of jam idea, Bert

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now