Talk

Advanced search

His insurance (his fault), our insurance (just to be nice) or DIY fix?

(7 Posts)
peacefuleasyfeeling Tue 20-Oct-15 18:46:53

Quick piece of advice needed. I have until tomorrow to make a PITA decision.
Just had boiler replaced today by nice, competent boiler man. Noticed as he was packing up that there is a hole in the plastic molding on our UPVC front door, about 5 cm long and 3 cm wide, so quite noticeable, although superficial; it just shows what the inside of the door looks like, IYSWIM. Ugly, and will bug me if left.
The guy concedes that he probably did it while moving the old boiler out of the house, but says he would have told me right away if he'd noticed at the time, as I'm sure he would have.
Anyway, DP jumped in straight away, talking about how to fix it himself (would be a messy, totally DIY kind of fix) and the boiler guy was talking of getting a friend who does double glazing to come and see if they could fix it, although he also said that it wouldn't be possible to fix just the hole, the door is a single, moulded piece.
My first thought was to claim on his insurance to replace the door (which is what I am sure he'd be expecting most people to do).
My sister suggested claiming on our household insurance to replace the door, saying we caused the damage or that it just appeared, asking the boiler man to take the equivalent of our excess off his price for replacing the boiler.
DP who just can't be arsed with it says we should ask him for £40 for some filler and the trouble of patching it up and DP will have a go himself.
What would you do?
I'm not even sure that what dsis is suggesting is strictly legal? Why am I being made to feel unreasonable for just wanting to make a straightforward claim on his insurance?

starlight2007 Tue 20-Oct-15 18:49:43

I am not sure why you aren't getting the boiler man to take responsibility because he did it

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 20-Oct-15 18:51:57

You phone your insures, they asses the damage, pay for it, and then claim off his insurers. Simple. Thats what you pay insurance for.
If your insurers pay up, and theirs dont, it wont go up by much and you shop round anyway.

peacefuleasyfeeling Tue 20-Oct-15 20:13:36

Thank you for your replies. It is a no-brainer to me; Sally, that is what I meant. But DP and dsis seem to think it is mean or petty to let this impact on his insurance (probably because he's such a nice bloke?). I've tried to explain that if we were to sell our house (not on the cards, but for illustrative purposes), a broken front door would be really off putting, so would impact on us down the line even if we decide to let it go for now. DP has just rolled eyes and sloped off for the eve, sighing "Well, YOU deal with it then..." like it is a major inconvenience. Boiler man is coming back tomorrow morning to sort out a few bits so will have to tell him then. I'll be at work but DP will be home so I think he feels awkward telling him, like he's making an unmanly fuss. Hm.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 20-Oct-15 20:31:31

Insurance claims arent personal. Its an accident. You pay insurance to cover an accident.

peacefuleasyfeeling Tue 20-Oct-15 22:10:27

Thanks again, Sally, for talking such sense. Not personal, that's it.

peacefuleasyfeeling Tue 20-Oct-15 23:04:46

Grr. DP back home, talking bleakly about the palaver of going through an insurance claim ("many a slip 'twixt a cup and a lip" apparently), the careless workmen employed by insurance companies (not "a guy on his own", like our guy), the endless possibilities of ending up with an ill-fitting replacement door, the likelihood of having to replace the whole door frame as well, with the attendant disruption to our lives, necessitating redecoration of our entrance hall, the inconvenience of replacing keys and furnishing relatives with new spares. Losing the will to live a bit hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: