Talk

Advanced search

Need advice - should we move?

(5 Posts)
Bear85 Tue 11-Aug-15 16:27:17

My husband and I are starting to think about trying for our first baby and are trying to decide whether it might be a good idea to move. We currently live in a beautiful but extremely small village with limited services (shop,pub,drs) and no baby groups at all. I know that to see any friends/family or to go to any groups with a baby I would have to get in the car and I just wondered if anyone else had been in this situation and how they'd found it? There is a bigger village about 15 mins drive with some groups and our local town is about 30 mins. My worry is that I could go for a long time without seeing anyone which could be very isolating or that I will get frustrated spending most of my time in a car with a new baby. I have lots of friends in our local town and I am already always the one who drives to them to meet up. My in laws live there too which would be a support. Equally I wonder how much time new mums spend just being at home and whether it would make that much of a difference?

I'd be really grateful for your thoughts as we want to get the ball rolling with moving if we feel it's the right choice. I feel our village would be idyllic for a young family (not so much with teens!) but it's the initial stage as a new mum which I find concerning.

SirNiallDementia Tue 11-Aug-15 16:33:23

Do you like living in your village now? If you do, stay! If you find it's too isolated once you have kids you can always move then. I wouldn't recommend moving now based on how you might feel if you have children!

tribpot Tue 11-Aug-15 16:33:32

I would opt for the outskirts of the town. You already know people there (people without kids I assume) and you will have the opportunity to build up your mum network through antenatal classes and the like. I think you could well feel very isolated in your current village. And definitely don't underestimate how useful it is to have inlaws on hand to help out - I had almost no parental support and it was very tough.

chumbler Tue 11-Aug-15 16:36:14

sounds like similar distances to me and I find it just fine. baby quite happy to sleep in the car and it's not that far. plus walking around the immediate area is nice and quiet smile

Maybubble123 Thu 13-Aug-15 23:39:10

Hi all,

Me & my partner are in a dilemia. We have currently been offered. 3 bedroom house in glostershire roar dean area. My Partner wants to go as he grew up there as a child but I am currently unsure as it would mean moving a 100 miles away from my family & friends. I am unsure what to do for the best out son is 1 in September and I would love for him to have his own room & a garden to play in comared to our 1 bedroom place at the moment. I'm just very unsure of is it the right move for me as s person. Any advice would be great.

Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now