Talk

Advanced search

Suddenly no one will talk to me

(102 Posts)
Realitea Sat 08-Aug-15 08:30:37

I live in a tiny close knit town. Great if you like a sense of community but not great when someone turns against you.
Suddenly everyone in my local shop aren't talking to me. They look away if I see them in the street whereas we used to talk.
I know I should rise above it and I'm a real wimp when it comes to confrontation.
I overheard one lady in the shop yesterday say something about me when she thought I'd left (but I was actually loitering around the exit!)
I couldn't quite make out what she said.
This is driving me nuts now. I feel like I can't go there anymore.
How does this happen with adults?

ShadowStar Sat 08-Aug-15 08:34:55

It sounds like they think you've done or said something that's offended them. Is there perhaps someone a bit more approachable that you can ask about it, in case it's all some sort of misunderstanding that can be cleared up?

IsItMeOrIsItHotInHere Sat 08-Aug-15 08:37:32

What did you do?

Realitea Sat 08-Aug-15 08:37:59

There is one girl who's possibly approachable but it's whether I can get her on her own to talk to.
I think it might be related to a comment I made to someone complaining about the store on social media. I didn't say much but the other girl complaining did. Maybe through Chinese whispers they think I complained. They must've had a call from head office and are blaming me!

TheoriginalLEM Sat 08-Aug-15 08:41:45

yep, that'd do it. fb is the devil's work.

Realitea Sat 08-Aug-15 09:10:06

Oh bugger I should never have said anything.
So..
I guess I need to move house immediately don't I!

Fizrim Sat 08-Aug-15 09:13:14

Did you complain about the shop on FB then? You are not clear on whether you agreed with the other complainer.

You could apologise rather than moving house!

Realitea Sat 08-Aug-15 09:18:27

I picked up on what she had said about one particular member of staff and agreed about just that one person, as she has been rude and is known for it. There have been many complaints about her. They must all be very protective of her or they got it mixed up and think I did the complaining.

Weird that the manager didn't know though it's just all the others in there.

Realitea Sat 08-Aug-15 09:19:12

I do miss the anonymity of larger places I really do.

ShadowStar Sat 08-Aug-15 09:22:53

Yes, that would explain it. You could try apologising?

Realitea Sat 08-Aug-15 09:24:11

Should i say something like 'I hope I haven't upset any of you' first?

IsItMeOrIsItHotInHere Sat 08-Aug-15 09:26:13

So is it just the shop stFf giving you the cold shoulder or the wider community?

Realitea Sat 08-Aug-15 09:31:55

Just the shop, luckily

IsItMeOrIsItHotInHere Sat 08-Aug-15 09:48:33

Ah well don't worry about it then. If the staff are rude they should be told.

Is there another shop or will you starve now? grin

Realitea Sat 08-Aug-15 10:04:21

I think you're right - they must know she's rude so they shouldn't enable it and I'm entitled to say so. I didn't say anything bad about the people there who I get on with. The next nearest shop is a 15 minute walk so I might just go to that one from now on!

ArgyMargy Sat 08-Aug-15 10:10:00

If you had issues with a member of staff perhaps you should have said something to the manager rather than commenting on Facebook. How could you not understand that this could jeopardise their business? And jobs?

TheoriginalLEM Sat 08-Aug-15 10:20:15

^that

I'd have told you to fuck off actually.

never say something on fb that you wouldn't say to someone's face. It WILL get back to them.

You have reminded me of agatha raisin and the quiche of death. you should read it. might cheer you up.

Fizrim Sat 08-Aug-15 10:32:03

This was a FB page that was connected to the business then (or tagged a business page) not just someone's own FB status? Yes, they'll be mad that you didn't raise it directly with them but broadcast it instead.

Realitea Sat 08-Aug-15 10:40:31

But I didn't make the initial complaint it was more like 'yes I know who you're talking about she's really miserable'
And that was it!

Realitea Sat 08-Aug-15 10:41:42

It's a large chain it's not a small independent shop. The complainer made the complaint on Twitter and tagged the shop. It was taken further but I wasn't part of that.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 08-Aug-15 10:44:52

but you were part of the bitching by the sounds of it. you honestly expect them to be friendly if you were slagging them off on a. public page?

Findtheoldme Sat 08-Aug-15 10:50:37

You are very naive if you thought there would be no consequences for what you did. You should have been mature about it and spoken to the manager if you had a complaint.

BertrandRussell Sat 08-Aug-15 10:54:18

"Ah well don't worry about it then. If the staff are rude they should be told."

But not bitched about on Facebook.........

AgentProvocateur Sat 08-Aug-15 10:56:54

Yes, bitching about people on facebook's not going to win you many friends hmm

SuperFlyHigh Sat 08-Aug-15 10:58:18

I'd email the chain or speak to the manager. Rudeness isn't nice though but customer service in shops isn't always easily especially if a random person bitches about you on social media

I agree - Facebook sounds like bitching and isn't very nice at all.

Your best policy is to apologise to the member of staff or to her manager and get manager to pass on apology.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now