Talk

Advanced search

Need a kick up the arse

(4 Posts)
commentappele Tue 04-Aug-15 23:36:30

Feeling very low. I know I'm not in the worst position, but have sunk into a slump and feeling low. I'm currently unemployed and beginning to feel like I'm running on empty. I've started to feel suicidal. It's been seven months now. Am getting interviews, several to final stage, but no offers. My confidence is now ebbing and lack of routine, direction, combined with uncertainty and isolation are making me feel blank and out of touch. I feel lost and worried. Struggling to keep pushing forward.

ziggyziggy Tue 04-Aug-15 23:49:46

comment, sorry to hear you are so low and things have been hard. it's horrible being unemployed and directionless.

have you considered other routes to doing the career you want to do, such as self employment, or maybe a sidestep into a slightly different career?

are you applying for jobs you really want to do? (In your heart?) if not, think carefully about exactly what you want to do and how you might get to doing it. write out a plan of steps that would get you into that role.

are you able to do a course or something while you look for a new job - there are all sorts of evening / part time courses starting in september, some extra training might help, or just something you're really into (doesn't have to be job related) to help you along, it can be surprisingly inspiring to study even just a couple of hours a week.

maybe you need a bit of talking therapy as well, go to your GP and have a chat, they will be able to refer you to a therapist for a bit of support, such as CBT which is really helpful.

things will get better, but make sure you get some support flowers

Newtobecomingamum Wed 05-Aug-15 22:30:48

Hi, it's horrible not being employed and all the processes with interviews you have to go through etc. I've been in this position a few times and it really does get to you. When I got made redundant and was unemployed for several months I have up looking for perm as like you was getting too final stages but missing out... I got temp work through agency which gave me income whilst I was searching but I also had doors open to me in the companies I worked at and lots of temp work can lead to perm. Have you considered this?

Newtobecomingamum Wed 05-Aug-15 22:32:27

Also temp work is usually instant, so will get you back out the house, back in a work environment and get you focused again. Good luck OP, hang in there and keep strong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now