Talk

Advanced search

"My baby's got rights too!" Mother with baby verbally abused disabled woman on train... Should I have intervened?

(8 Posts)
northernlassy1 Mon 03-Aug-15 17:11:48

A woman with buggy and other kids - who looked perfectly respectable -started having a go at a disabled woman and her carer today because she had to move her pram to make way for the wheelchair. Started shouting "it happens to me all the time, what about my baby's rights? Hasn't my baby got a right to be there too?!" Said baby couldn't have given a toss and was cooing happily. Carer argued back a bit, but the rest of us just kind of looked on in astonishment as the mean mum kept going. I just apologised to the carer for the silly cow - who then continued the argument about baby's rights as she got off train and shouted across the platform that she shouldn't be treated like this. Should I have had a go at her/quiet word or does anyone else in the world agree with this piece of work?

chumbler Mon 03-Aug-15 21:10:54

doesn't sound like you could have stopped her, what a horrible thing to do! I guess you could have found a guard? wouldn't worry about it, what a horrible person!

Panzee Mon 03-Aug-15 21:13:07

You could have chimed in, but probably would have got a punch in the nose for your efforts. There are some very odd people in the world.

northernlassy1 Tue 04-Aug-15 03:56:02

I know I couldn't believe it!! Thanks for replies

LiverMummy25 Tue 04-Aug-15 05:20:06

My oh is a bus driver. She doesn't have babies rights. She should have folded the pram down and put the baby on her knee or shut the hell up to be honest. There is a separate space for prams if it was occupied too bad. How rude.

MinesAPintOfTea Tue 04-Aug-15 05:58:51

If I was alone and feeling brave I would have offered to help fold the pram whilst she held r the baby. Hopefully defuses the anger a bit whilst supporting the person in a wheelchair/their carer.

northernlassy1 Tue 04-Aug-15 18:46:24

Good idea that's what I should have done

Newtobecomingamum Tue 04-Aug-15 22:49:26

At the end of the day although it was extremely wrong, there was not a fight or more violent argument.. Which might have happened had you intervened if she is of that character. I think in this instance you did the right thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now