I'm currently facing a dilemma and feeling really torn.
We have a 2 year old DS and have recently found out we are expecting again - this was a complete surprise.
We live within 5mins of my DM and DF, 15mins of my DSis & DNephew. Plus my MIL and FIL are 10mins away too.
We are currently living in a small 2 bedroom mid-terrace with parking a short walk away. We have looked in this area for a 3 bed or slightly bigger 2 bed with parking and currently at the moment we cannot afford anything on the market.
If we wait until the end of the year (due to my DH's employment) we could very likely get an increase on our mortgage and afford a small 3 bed in this area.
Whilst discussing this with my SIL when they visited this weekend she suggested we look further north from where we are in the town she lives in. The town is 1 hour 45mins away from here.
We had a look and we've found a lovely large 3 bed semi detached house with a garage and driveway which we could afford now as its the same price as our 2 bed terrace.
So my question is would you stay local and hope you can afford a bigger house in 6-12 months time or would you up sticks and move now to the bigger house but further away from family and friends??
WWID? I'd post about the town you are considering in the "Property" Forum for a warts n' all view
With both sets of grandparents nearby, and all that will mean as they age I'd be more inclined to hang on despite the space issues and hunt around to see what you can do a bit closer to home before thinking "wowwee - that's a lot of house for the same cash". That's a sod of a regular trip if any of the parents become ill for example?