Talk

Advanced search

What sort of volunteer work would you/have you got involved with?

(122 Posts)
pickingstrawberries Wed 22-Jul-15 13:00:06

I'm really interested in involving myself in something that I hope would benefit my community, and the people in it, and I suppose I'm just asking for some ideas and suggestions for what others do or what inspires others?

Thank you smile

Lizaa Wed 22-Jul-15 13:03:36

Brownies and Guides at the moment. Would like to do something around providing respite care in the future.

fourcorneredcircle Wed 22-Jul-15 13:06:34

I am an instructor with a youth group - for two evening a week and at least one weekend a month I work with 12-20 years olds. Personally I run adventure training (through them I have become a qualified walk leader, kayak instructor and climbing instructor), Duke of Edinburgh, First Aid Training and the organisation of weekend and week long camps away. I am a true volunteer but I have the option as others do in the organisation (The Air Cadets) to be paid for up to 28 days a year by taking on a greater range of 'military' options (I could still be paid for Adventure Traning though).

TTWK Wed 22-Jul-15 13:11:39

Voluntary work....I wouldn't do it if you paid me!

Wishful80sMontage Wed 22-Jul-15 13:14:37

Mine have been specially to gain experience in the past I worked with young offenders, I'm about to start training to become a breastfeeding support worker and next year volunteer at a local sexual health charity.
I know someone who volunteers at the brownies and loves it

MamaLazarou Wed 22-Jul-15 13:16:11

I'm waiting to start a course with Home Start.

badRoly Wed 22-Jul-15 13:17:34

I run a Brownie unit and mostly enjoy it grin

In the past I've helped at toddler groups (doing the crafts/accounts/setting up) and I used to do a morning in school every week doing whatever I was asked to do.

If I have the time when mine are older and more independent, I think I'd quite like to do Homestart as I really valued the lady who came to me after DC4 was born.

ghostyslovesheep Wed 22-Jul-15 13:18:33

I worked voluntarily for rape crisis for a number of years - I was able to get involved in a wide range of things such as crisis support, staff management, funding bids, youth work and training

BeansInBoots Wed 22-Jul-15 13:20:19

I volunteer for a local food bank smile

annandale Wed 22-Jul-15 13:20:23

I help to run a woodcraft folk group. Would never have thought I could do it but it's actually fun shock though takes up a lot of mental space, more than I would have thought.

permenantrecord Wed 22-Jul-15 13:20:57

I have tutored through the big plus (long time ago now)

I have used home start and would say they are hugely important. As are mh charities like mind. And food banks, or maybe toddler groups in deprived areas, those are the kind of volunteering I would consider in future if I had time

Birdsgottafly Wed 22-Jul-15 13:21:15

I've done Welfare Rights advice, a buddy role, with people who have HIV, reading in schools and am currently doing Volunteer work with the Red Cross, with Asylum Seekers. I'm considering a buddy role with elderly/disabled people doing "outdoorsy" things.

There are loads of roles within each organisation. Everyone can find something to suit them, any age etc and with the cuts, every Charity is crying out for Volunteers.

It is a great way to get s reference, as well.

CelibacyCakeAndFuckThePO Wed 22-Jul-15 13:21:52

I've volunteered at a local animal rescue for a year (one morning a week) and have just moved to volunteering for our local RSPCA branch (which doesn't get charitable support from the RSPCA as it's a franchise - for want of a better word)

I also do ad-hoc bits in the community,.taking animals in and rescuing injured wildlife etc.

I'd like to train as a breastfeeding peer supporter but the course seems quite intense and I have MH illness that would get in the way.

permenantrecord Wed 22-Jul-15 13:22:15

Oh and CAB if you have the relevant skills- they really need help at moment

Sillyshell Wed 22-Jul-15 13:22:25

Having been volunteering with a Rainbow unit, am looking to adopt so it's been good to gain some experience with children plus I have moved recently so it's been helpful getting to know some new people.

MatildaTheCat Wed 22-Jul-15 13:22:43

I used to volunteer at a local charity fro disabled preschoolers for one afternoon a week. Boy, it was hard work but rewarding. I since became disabled and have considered mentoring. I'd like to work in a charity shop but not physically up to it.

My BFF volunteers at the V&A museum and loves it. Most large not for profit organisations will have whole departments dedicated to volunteers. Councils often do as well.

I always approached it in exactly the same way as a paid job in terms of my commitment. Sadly this isn't always the case.

bigmouthstrikesagain Wed 22-Jul-15 13:23:22

I volunteer at the local CAB. You get good training and it is interesting challenging work.

MatildaTheCat Wed 22-Jul-15 13:24:06

Oh, another one, someone has recently started a weekly book club at my MIL's nursing home which she really enjoys as she can't see to read any more.

Charlesroi Wed 22-Jul-15 13:24:43

Working at the food bank
Helper with Riding for the Disabled
Steward/helper at sporting events

Wolfiefan Wed 22-Jul-15 13:25:14

Cinnamon trust. Dog walking etc. Lovely to keep ill or elderly owners with their much loved pets.

LilyMayViolet Wed 22-Jul-15 13:25:35

Now I volunteer at a drop in centre once a week. In the past I worked at a youth group and about 20 years ago I volunteered on a playbus and at Mencap.

Some of my friends volunteer at soup kitchens and others work in charity shops.

fishtankbrain Wed 22-Jul-15 13:25:41

I am a magistrate. Would recommend it whole heartedly as interesting, rewarding and stimulating voluntary work. And we really need a broad cross section of society to do it so that the Bench represents the community it serves - the average age of our Bench is 62 which is appalling! At 37 I am one of the very youngest - we need lots more younger people.

pickingstrawberries Wed 22-Jul-15 13:44:57

Tell me more about being a magistrate smile

madasa Wed 22-Jul-15 13:46:35

Samaritans for 17 years.....loved it

lalsy Wed 22-Jul-15 13:50:00

I volunteer for a large museum, working with the public and supporting other volunteers. smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now