Talk

Advanced search

Teenage (17) daughter took painkillers whilst I was away for the night

(8 Posts)
Biglaugh Wed 15-Jul-15 09:48:41

She is fine and was sensible enough to ring our doctor but the shock is overwhelming. She had some friends round and it got out of hand so far as I can tell.
I am a single mum and I have no other immediate family other than cousins. They are being supportive but all live miles away.
Very hard to deal with. She will get help but I feel as though I am in a trance and I have to work full time (no help, ever, from dad).
It is so hard to be normal.

DizzyCow63 Wed 15-Jul-15 10:55:30

Do you mean she took an overdose, either deliberate or accidentially, or that she just took painkillers for a headache etc? It isn't clear from your post.

DizzyCow63 Wed 15-Jul-15 10:56:44

Sorry OP, reread and you clearly mean she took too many. Has she given any indication of why? Did her friends egg her on? How scary for you flowers

Biglaugh Wed 15-Jul-15 15:40:07

Hi DizzyCow63. Yes, she took it deliberately. So frightening but thank God the cry for help didn't result in anything more than blood tests. I can't bear to think what could have happened if she'd carried on taking them.

No, I don't think she was egged on, but there was a drink taken.

I'd like to wrap her in cotton wool and keep her at home but you have to keep going.

We do have a music festival looming and she has saved for her own ticket but it is with the same crowd she was with on Friday so I am not keen at all. Not had the conversation yet.

Imsolonesomeicouldcry Thu 16-Jul-15 07:36:38

Hi BigLaugh, how is your daughter now? Do you know yet why she did it?

Biglaugh Thu 16-Jul-15 10:12:37

Hi, no I don't know and she is so defensive. she says she doesn't know herself.
I'm waiting for her referral from the NHS for an assessment and hope it will be quick and she can get some help.

thanks

Wolfiefan Thu 16-Jul-15 10:17:54

I once did a slightly similar thing. As an adult I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety.
I wish I'd been diagnosed 20 years ago! I did CBT and had a spell of anti depressants. I'm now happier than I have been in years.
I understand myself so much more and life is looking good.
Will she approach GP?

Wolfiefan Thu 16-Jul-15 10:18:18

X post about referral.
Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now