selfish or inspirational?

(8 Posts)
Frank1e Tue 14-Jul-15 11:56:24

Just wanting some help in making a decision and wondering if anybody has encountered a similar experience....In September I will be starting my 3rd and final year of Midwifery training where I have to do a 2 week placement. I have the opportunity to travel to Tanzania and work in a hospital over there delivering babies in a completely different environment - which would be both challenging and amazing. Of course. I want the experience buuuut I have 3 children who will be 11, 9 and nearly 6 when I would travel. My elder two understand but of course the youngest don't. My husband is completely behind me and will take on the childcare whilst i'm away and thinks it is too much of a good opportunity for me to miss.

I am in 2 minds- I do really want to go but 2 weeks away in Africa would be really hard!! I know I can skype but really wanted to see what other people think of me leaving such small kids for such a long time? Any help advice would be greatly appreciated! I feel like I am being selfish although my husband thinks it would be inspirational to my kids.

Scottysmum2008 Tue 14-Jul-15 13:00:03

I think that as most of your family are behind you, what you will learn and experience in those two weeks will be priceless.
The nearly six year old has everyone else to support them whilst you are away. It's only two weeks which will fly by for the youngest as they don't have much concept of time and will be occupied by their usual routine whilst you are away.
Maybe a conversation about the importance of new opportunities and supporting each other should be had around the family table?
Good luck with what you decide x

Frank1e Tue 14-Jul-15 14:20:47

Thank you Scottymum2008 - yes, a good conversation topic for a family meeting! Good point about the concept of time too x

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 14-Jul-15 21:53:11

Hi there OP
We've moved your thread out of the bloggers area
My personal opinion (usual MNHQ disclaimers apply) is that if you have support behind you, you should go for it (you kinda sound like you want to...)
But very best of luck whatever you decide - midwives are brilliant brilliant people

Quasicrystals1456 Tue 14-Jul-15 22:00:57

Yes definitely go. For so many reasons. Good luck!

Frank1e Wed 15-Jul-15 22:50:08

Thanks guys- really appreciate your opinions- think i'm just gonna have to go!!! scary!! xx

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 15-Jul-15 22:52:54

Friend did her placement in New Zealand, think her DC were 7 & 8 yrs, they were absolutely fine.

Kafri Fri 17-Jul-15 22:54:34

I've just come back from a week in San Francisco leaving my 2.4 year old with his dad.
It was only a holiday but was an important trip for me to make. DS was fine and dandy with his dad. We face timed each day so he could see I still existed and I missed him loads but we both survived.
I say go and get this experience under your belt!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now