Talk

Advanced search

To go abroad or not?

(14 Posts)
slightlyconfused85 Thu 09-Jul-15 13:43:02

DH has been offered the chance to work in Singapore for a year starting Aug 2016. At this point we will have a 3.5 year old and a 1 year old - I would like to back by the following August in time for dd to start infant school. For this to happen I would have to quit my teaching job, which I love, in a good school for us all to go. I'd then be job hunting on return or doing supply whilst sorting school and nursery for kids. Is it really silly to quit my job (I'm a minority subject) for this? I don't really want DH to miss this opportunity although I know he would if I insisted. He's talked about doing this loads of times and I think he needs it out his system ! I not only likey job but am well liked in the school and likely to get promoted within 2-3 years after thisat leave that I'm about to start. Wwyd?

joopy79 Thu 09-Jul-15 19:28:03

Do you want to go? It sounds like it would be an exciting experience.
Have you talked to your school? Could you take a year out?

slightlyconfused85 Thu 09-Jul-15 22:00:31

I would quite like to go, if I didn't enjoy my job so much then I wouldn't hesitate especially as the children would be young and I wouldn't have to take them in and out of school. I've considered asking for a sabbatical but it will be following almost straight on from maternity leave so pretty sure head wouldn't be keen.

daisydalrymple Thu 09-Jul-15 22:02:15

I was also going to suggest a year out, but wondered about the maternity leave too- it's definitely worth asking??

sooperdooper Thu 09-Jul-15 22:02:50

Do it, it sounds like a great opportunity! Ask about the sabbatical but if they say no if it was me I'd go for it, you only live once smile

Kafri Thu 09-Jul-15 22:40:16

Presumably the head will have arranged mat cover? So, if you ask s/he might be willing to extend the temp contract to cover your year away too?? Worth a question isn't it??

nothingtodotoday Thu 09-Jul-15 22:46:07

Cask for a career break for a year ...

nothingtodotoday Thu 09-Jul-15 22:46:37

I meant ask!

slightlyconfused85 Fri 10-Jul-15 06:36:14

Thanks everyone,'you're right it's definitely worth asking as yes there is maternity cover in place for next year. It would be a shame to miss an opportunity for chance as although DH travels for workinraryget the chance

Kafri Fri 10-Jul-15 07:44:06

I would kill for an opportunity like that so I say go go go.
Hopefully your ht will support you and if not I still don't think it should be an automatic no. There are other options and ways around it to allow the trip to happen. In a firm believer in things working out in the end. (She says hopefully as I'm still waiting for my 'working out') lol

slightlyconfused85 Fri 10-Jul-15 08:11:58

Thanks Kafri I am sure I will regret it if we don't go. The most interesting place I've ever been for work is the local village primary schools that feed into our secondary... I guess I can ways do supply smile

Wittynewnameifonly Fri 10-Jul-15 08:15:21

Do it!

DH and I always intended to do that after getting married but for various reasons didn't. Then of course when opportunities came up the kids were always the wrong age school wise. We are now planning to do it when they have left home, only about ten years now grin

Seriously go for it, your kids are perfect age now so that it is not disruptive to them.

raviolig Fri 10-Jul-15 13:33:25

Ok I don't want to be the only negative, and it is not just negatives, but we went abroad for a year. My kids were the same age as yours. Turned 4 and 2 while we were away. I loved being there and I think it was an amazing experience for the kids, but coming back was hard. Do you own your own house? We rent so found it hard to get back into a house when we got back as they wanted evidence of us having jobs here and they didn't seem to understand a sabbatical. But also I did take a sabbatical for a year and they sent me a letter when I got back saying I wasn't welcome back at work. I fought it and got redundancy but I did end up with no job. Also we really struggled to get a school place for my daughter and she ended up starting 6 weeks late which I think has really affected her. I think if you own your own house you would be able to apply for school properly in January but our council require you to take a council tax bill to prove you are resident. How would you handle that?
I would never have changed that we did it for a year, but the stress when we got back was unbelievable.
Maybe think about returning and look into it a bit more before you make a decision. Xx

slightlyconfused85 Fri 10-Jul-15 22:51:26

Thanks raviolig it's great to hear another point of view. We own our own house, yes, but hadn't thought about whether we would need proof of residence for school place- will certainly look into that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now