Talk

Advanced search

disabled parking space question

(6 Posts)
alardi Fri 03-Jul-15 17:59:19

Hypothetical question

2 people arrive at busy supermarket & park in the disabled car space nearest the door. It's the only disabled space left but there are lots of ordinary parking spaces within 30 second walk. They have a blue badge so all legit to park there.

One occupant is 100% able bodied & jumps out to go do the shopping. The disabled person stays behind. They are not uncomfortable sitting & waiting in the car.

Is this morally suspect? Because the next blue-badge user who comes along might need need to get out of car to go shopping, but no disabled parking space close to the door is left for them.

loveareadingthanks Fri 03-Jul-15 18:02:34

Shitty thing to do but not illegal or anything.

From Blue Badge rules (England)

You should not use the badge to allow
non-disabled people to take advantage
of the benefits while you sit in the
car. Although it is not illegal for a badge
holder, or a non-disabled person waiting
for the badge holder to return, to remain
in the vehicle while the Blue Badge is
displayed, consideration should be given
to using a car park whenever possible

CMOTDibbler Fri 03-Jul-15 18:10:53

Its not in the right spirit imo. Both my parents have blue badges, but I'd only ever use a disabled space if they were getting out of the car, and tbh if I had mum (who needs a wheelchair and has dementia) I'd usually park somewhere with more space around as I can push her

alardi Fri 03-Jul-15 18:50:11

ah, there's even specific guidance about this situation. Didn't realise that. cheers.

Schrodingersmum Fri 03-Jul-15 20:17:40

I see this all the time, disabled person left in the car, able bodied gets out. You can often tell as usually the badge is put up by the disabled person in front of them

I have had a badge since the age of 33 sadly and am often 'visually checked' by those same people who seem unable to comprehend that you dont have to be old to be disabled but regularly misuse their partner/parents badge without batting an eyelid

chumbler Sun 05-Jul-15 08:29:24

perhaps the able bodied person wants to be as quick as possible so as not to leave the disabled person there too long?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now