Talk

Advanced search

Plymouth brethren - how to explain to my daughtee

(6 Posts)
Iwishicouldhavealieinjustonce Fri 12-Jun-15 09:42:15

I am hoping someone on here may know a bit more about the Plymouth brethren? My 5 year old daughter has a little girl in her class that is from a brethren family and keeps asking if she can come round to play... Am I right in thinking that this would not be allowed??? I don't know much about them (the little girls mum seems to only talk to other mums from her community), so don't want to embarrass her, or myself!, by asking.
Does anyone know what the 'rules' are?
I don't know what to say to my daughter! I don't like the idea of having to tell her 'you can't play with her because they're different to us' as this goes against everything that I believe in.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Fri 12-Jun-15 09:50:06

Just ask the child to play and let the family confirm either way before you assume that it'd be a no?

I went to school with a boy from that denomination years ago (30ish years ago), the family lived in my village and whilst he wasn't allowed to go to others houses, he was allowed to have the odd friend back to his every now and again where his parents could be sure he wouldn't be exposed to tv and whatnot. Ask the family first and go from there smile

grabaspoon Fri 12-Jun-15 09:53:42

They can come and play just not come to birthday parties

Purl1Knit1 Fri 12-Jun-15 10:03:01

I think they have certain restrictions on eating with people outside their community, but the best thing would be to ask. Maybe approach the mum and say that your DD was wanting to invite her DD round some time - would that be ok? Maybe the mum could come too, at least at first. I would ask whether there's anything her daughter can't eat, to give her the chance to maybe say that she wouldn't eat at all while there (in which case, keep it short).

In terms of games etc to avoid, they may not be happy with anything involving playing cards or dice, so avoid those. But really, the best thing is to get to know the mum, and make it clear that you're trying to understand.

Iwishicouldhavealieinjustonce Fri 12-Jun-15 10:04:12

Yeah I guess you're both right. I suppose I should just ask and see what happens!

Purl1Knit1 Fri 12-Jun-15 10:09:52

Yes, TV is probably a big no-no. I'd suggest inviting both mum and daughter for a short visit, where the DDs play outside (do you have a Wendy house or something?). No TV, dice, playing cards or anything to worry about. Offer tea/juice/water but don't be offended if it's a no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now