Talk

Advanced search

13 year old dd just dropped her iPhone 6 (birthday present - 3 weeks old) because her brother threw a football at her causing her to drop it. Replace or not?

(132 Posts)
hmc Sun 07-Jun-15 20:21:44

I hesitate because she didn't have a protective cover on it when she dropped it because apparently the case had broken at the side. She tells me this now when she knows it is important to always have a protective case. Why not tell me yesterday when we were in town and I would have purchased another case immediately. So I am thinking she has joint culpability and am tempted to replace with very basic iPhone.....

But, but, but - it was a birthday present, her brother threw a football at her and she is in floods of tears.....

hmc Sun 07-Jun-15 20:29:20

hmc Sun 07-Jun-15 20:31:41

I know it's not a fascinating subject - but any views? I don't know how hard line to be....

Truffle40 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:33:05

Can it be repaired?

SecretSpy Sun 07-Jun-15 20:33:38

I'm struggling to get past a 13yo with an iPhone 6 tbh. Sorry.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Jun-15 20:34:27

To be honest if I was buying a 13yo an expensive phone Id have bought the toughest cover to go with it and presented it to her with the cover on.

Can you get the case fixed?

Norfolknway Sun 07-Jun-15 20:34:27

No insurance?

TummyButtonFluff Sun 07-Jun-15 20:35:34

Thirteen year old with iPhone 6? hmm. You are tempted to replace with a basic iPhone? Hoping this is a joke thread.

Norfolknway Sun 07-Jun-15 20:35:53

If not, if you can take it to an Apple Store they will repair it for 180 ish. Or, an independent chap would do it for less but with non-Apple parts.

GladysTheGolem Sun 07-Jun-15 20:35:57

She should've had a protective case on it.

A protective case that breaks after three weeks doesn't sound very good, next time you buy her something that expensive get her an otterbox or griffin case.

You sound like you want to replace but I wouldn't. But I wouldn't buy one for a 13yr old in the first place so I'm the wrong person to ask...

AnyoneForTennis Sun 07-Jun-15 20:36:53

How much are they op?

CamelHump Sun 07-Jun-15 20:37:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Finola1step Sun 07-Jun-15 20:37:16

I am usually firmly in the she broke it, she deals with it.

But, she dropped it because a football was thrown at her. I assume she dropped the phone out of fright or to use her hands to shield her face. A natural reaction.

I would get a quote for it to be fixed. The maybe split the cost three ways?

ELR Sun 07-Jun-15 20:37:34

Dd has an iPhone 5c we insist on a cover and one of those protective screen covers. Would not let her even touch it until these covers wee on.
I would pay for the repair and then insist on the covers.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 07-Jun-15 20:38:52

Repair or replace.
I'm planning on selling my 13yr old iPhone5 to get her a 6.
I don't see why not if I can afford it.

AnyoneForTennis Sun 07-Jun-15 20:40:53

£700??!! Seriously?

That's ridiculous. For a 13 year old?

RobotHamster Sun 07-Jun-15 20:41:03

Surely you have insurance for such an expensive phone?

hmc Sun 07-Jun-15 20:41:05

Wasn't excessively expensive - because my dh was due an upgrade to his phone and basically let her have the benefit of the upgrade.

CultureSucksDownWords Sun 07-Jun-15 20:41:34

I also can't get my head around such an expensive present for a 13 yr old...

So... Fix it if you can afford it, get a properly tough case for it, and then make it clear that you won't fix it again. Out of interest, what is the consequence for her brother throwing a football at her?

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 07-Jun-15 20:41:40

And I dropped a jar of olives (ha, how very mn but really), on my brand new tablet, totally breaking it, accidents happen.

SunnyNights Sun 07-Jun-15 20:43:52

I would fix it, my DD has dropped her iPhone twice and I've paid for repairs which were £25 a time. From now though if she cracks the screen then it's down to her to save for repairs!

HarrietVane99 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:43:58

Agree the brother should share some of the responsibility, assuming he's old enough to know better than to throw a football at someone who isn't expecting it.

VinoEsmeralda Sun 07-Jun-15 20:45:52

Tricky one but how is she ever going to learn to look after/protect her stuff if you are going to replace or repair it?

If she had a cover on it and then the above would have happened I would have no problem repairing it but some lessons in life have to be found out the hard way IMO.

AnyoneForTennis Sun 07-Jun-15 20:46:00

It's still an expensive phone

On contract then?

hmc Sun 07-Jun-15 20:46:02

Have checked with dh - there is handset insurance....so it seems we can replace. I do think there should nonetheless be some sort of punishment; since she knows what a stickler I am for insisting on using a protective cover. I shall be selecting the case myself rather than letting her choose based on aesthetic grounds.

Might fine her for this incident and make her pay her fine in chores or something similar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now