Talk

Advanced search

Please help! Am I right to be furious?

(12 Posts)
Anon192 Sun 07-Jun-15 13:06:39

Went to my husbands mums house yesterday and his mum came out with some very strange things. We are having our first baby girl and it's her first grandchild. She asked my husband if he will love his daughter more than her! Or if she will still be his 'number 1' while I was sat there! I tried to ease the tension (there were a lot of family there) by saying, well I'm his number one and she laughed and said 'I habe already asked him and you're not, I am'.

I don't care about 'rankings' bit am seriously pissed off that his mum thinks that she is in competition with our unborn baby daughter. Am I right to be furious? She was winking as she said it an was pretending it was a joke but it wasn't because she wouldn't let it drop without him answering her! In the end she got in a mood because he wouldn't answer.

AnathemaPratchett Sun 07-Jun-15 13:10:02

She's massively insecure and bonkers.

Not worth getting angry over though. Pity, yes, anger not so much.

ImperialBlether Sun 07-Jun-15 13:19:41

Anyone else singing Blondie's "I'm gonna be your number one"?

She sounds completely nuts. Give her a Bronze medal for Christmas.

MuttonCadet Sun 07-Jun-15 13:21:12

Erm......confused

What an odd thing to say.

AnnieLewis Sun 07-Jun-15 13:21:27

Was she batshit crazy over your wedding? I would to be honest just nod and smile or treat her like someone who is mentally not too stable because trust me, once your baby arrives things are likely to go up a notch speaking from experience of having a batshit crazy MIL myself

CaptainHolt Sun 07-Jun-15 13:21:34

Was she pissed?

Anon192 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:07:44

I agree that she is I secure but I can't pity her because she is confrontational which makes me angry, I suppose she may be insecure, but I agree she is a bit nuts!

She is a lovely woman and I do get on with her just was shocked at what she was saying! Who the hell asks a man to rank his mum, wife and daughter?!

I didn't think that she may get worse after the birth. Ffs!

Thanks for your replies, I thought I may be over reacting but you have confirmed what my gut was telling me! confused

Anon192 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:08:11

Nope not pissed!

lordsandladies Sun 07-Jun-15 14:10:01

I would hope he's able to love you, his daughter and her equally but in very very different ways!

She's odd snd a bit icky!

DirectorOfBetter Sun 07-Jun-15 14:13:47

He needs to repeat 'love is not a pie' like a cracked record.
Or tease the bejeesus out of her still she stops - maybe along the lines of 'Well now, Mum. Who did you love most when I was born,
me or your father? Isn't that a silly question!' All very bright and breezy. The very worst thing he could do would be to take her seriously.

ItsRainingInBaltimore Sun 07-Jun-15 14:14:28

Are you sure she wasn't joking though? It's the sort of thing a mum might say to an adult son, PURELY AS A WIND UP in a 'you are still mummy's little soldier though, aren't you?' You still love me best though, don't you?' kind of way.

When boys are little they are always telling their mums they love them best in all the world and want to marry them when they grow up. Are you absolutely sure she's nuts, and not that you are reading too much into it and looking for some sinister meaning that's not there?

AlpacaMyBags Sun 07-Jun-15 14:17:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now