Talk

Advanced search

What's the best way to deal with meanies at the school gates?

(3 Posts)
wandymum Tue 02-Jun-15 20:22:03

I have just realised that another mum at school who I thought was a friend is ignoring me. We used to chat and I helped her out driving her kids on the school run when she broke an arm and couldn't drive last year. She's been frosty for a while but it seems to have developed into something more recently.

Some examples. She was handing out invitations for her DS's birthday party and gave them out to the group I was chatting to before turning to me and saying "none for you, your DD isn't invited". Then today I was talking to someone and she cut straight into the conversation and stood between us with her back to me. I've wracked my brains and can't think I've done anything that could have offended her.

What is the accepted MN wisdom for dealing with this? To be frank, if she's going to behave like that then life is too short for me to care but there are only 15 kids in my DD's class so we have to see each other quite regularly and it is just really awkward and embarrassing for not just me but everyone around.

SurlyCue Tue 02-Jun-15 20:25:38

Just ask her straight out. Whenever she blanks you or butts in or is rude then just call her on it and ask her what the problem is.

shadypines Wed 10-Jun-15 16:33:31

Hi Wandy, goodness me she sounds incredibly rude, what's her problem I wonder?

I think that's what you need to find out. Do you know what yours and her DCs are like together, is there any possibility of anything there that's causing her to be 'funny'. Is there any other mum you trust you could ask?
I would be tempted to ( if ignoring isn't an option) ask her straight, what is the problem, something along the lines of "Do you realise what you said/did was quite rude?"

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now