someone stole my wheelie bin :(

(25 Posts)
flannelwash Wed 20-May-15 10:04:02

Recycling yesterday, my green bin has been taken! Theres one out there but its not my bin

Ring the council. Look on their website for relevant waste management/ collection dept. phone no.

If there's one there it might just have been accidentally swapped with neighbor so check that first.

Snozberry Wed 20-May-15 10:08:22

If there's one out there has someone just taken the wrong one back? Are there no numbers on them? I'd take the one that's there tbh.

LoloKazolo Wed 20-May-15 10:15:09

My neighbours have just done this! As in, they have moved house yesterday and taken MY wheelie bin with them. Properly gone! And they've filled theirs to the brim, which I shall now steal I suppose, contributing domino-like to the breakdown of civilisation.

!

The outrage. I'd say good riddance but how can I now rid? MY RUBBISH IS NOT RIDDABLE. It's a modern horror story (omg I do genuinely feel aggrieved!).

flannelwash Wed 20-May-15 10:18:04

You can't mistake my bin, its been spray painted to buggary by my lanlord with her name and house number. The cheek! I reckon its jealousy because I have two bins.

MrsAukerman Wed 20-May-15 10:20:26

Just order another one. I have to do this regularly.

AtomicDog Wed 20-May-15 10:23:05

A month back, someone stole ours when it was full!
That really did make us flummoxed.

LoloKazolo Wed 20-May-15 10:25:45

Who takes their wheelie bin with them when they move house anyway, that's what I want to know. That's not a thing. The bin belongs to the house.

I knew they were mental because they hoovered four times a day but I didn't know they were criminal too!

Flannel, I think the answer to "what would I do" in this scenario is: brood.

Snozberry Wed 20-May-15 10:32:25

If it's labelled walk up the street, find it and take it back then? Our council charges £35 for a new one, even if it's stolen or there isn't one when you move in.

ginmakesitallok Wed 20-May-15 10:36:26

Our council just replaces them for free if you lose one. Guess that stops people nicking them as there's no point.

Fatstacks Wed 20-May-15 10:37:59

Lolo I have my bin from our previous address blush

Many many years ago in the mists of time, when wheelie bins were new on the earth, you could purchase an extra wheelie bin for the sum of £10.

This would be yours to keep, forever.
In those heady times you could put your normal, rates funded, bin out along with your personal property bin and they would both be happily emptied.

It was the bin spring.

Now though you can't put your extra bin out, and there is even a bin napping van who will remove your extra bin! shock

Unless you are unbelievably sad a careful bin owner, like me, and can provide the receipt from 1993.
My bin is older than my DC.

We still use it for the rubbish.

We keep coal in the nice shiny one that came with the house clampits grin

Deux Wed 20-May-15 10:46:53

I always get really cross when my neighbour takes in my food recycling bin and leaves me her minging one. Ugh, it's all rotten and full of yucky slop inside.

I'm sure she's hoping that I just won't notice.

Anyways, I always march round there and take it back.

Sharpie/permanent pen is your friend too. Write address on inside of lid and several other discreet places.

OP, you just need to go and find it.

LoloKazolo Wed 20-May-15 11:00:04

Fatstacks These tales you tell of yesteryear must surely be fables of a magical land! I'm struggling to imagine the luxury of two bins. TWO BINS. We should call you Fat "Two Bins" Stacks.

<sits at your feet>

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 20-May-15 11:05:24

Go and get the bin that is not yours. Tape a note to it saying "Return my bin or your bin gets it". Post the picture through all of your neighbours doors.

Wait.

Sorry you're going through this, OP. flowers

WinterBabyof89 Wed 20-May-15 11:10:08

My parents took their bins with them when they moved house 13 years ago, simply because they couldn't afford to buy new ones (new house had no bins).
Council refused to empty them for a while because they had old address painted on the side - my dad painted over it & problem solved.

Once some teens were walking along our road with an empty bin on bin day, my mum chased them down which was hilarious because my DM's so mellow! and went on a little mission to find the house the bin belonged to a few streets away..

Go find your rightful bin OP..

flannelwash Wed 20-May-15 21:28:39

I can't sleep tonight now. Knowing my bin is out there. Alone. lost. stolen.

hugoagogo Wed 20-May-15 21:38:49

Some shit has stolen our recycling box AGAIN! This makes at least 4 times, we have only had the thing a few years.

I am very envy of you with your wheelie bins and food waste bins, we just have the stupid box and two bin bags. <gets out teeny tiny violin>

Back when I was young and daft a student we used to push each other around the back streets in wheelie bins- good times. grin

IvyWall Wed 20-May-15 21:44:34

I think my neighbours have taken my absolutely minging food waste bin and left their lovely clean one in its place grin

butterflyballs Wed 20-May-15 21:44:59

We had a panic the other day when our blue bin wasn't there but phew! It had just gone for a wander down the street and was having a rest by lying in the road. It's back home now and grounded. That'll teach it.

sparkysparkysparky Thu 21-May-15 09:14:32

Our paper bin went walkabout. Called Council. New one delivered in a couple of days.

Deux Thu 21-May-15 10:19:36

IvyWall - so it's you. I'm coming to get you with the bin posse. smile

I wish bin threads would run for as many pages as parking threads. I don't know why I feel so terratorial about my bins ........ DH thinks it's hysterical when I get Bin Rage.

IvyWall Thu 21-May-15 17:54:04

It was bin day today. Neighbours didn't put my bin out so I couldn't swap mine back. Sadly I have been putting my manky food waste in their lovely clean bin and it's not looking so lovely now.

My bin, which is captive behind their locked gate, has my house number on the lid in six inch high numerals

flannelwash Fri 22-May-15 11:14:56

ITS NEXT DOOR!!!!!!
God damn it that lovely old couple are a pair of hardened criminals!! Criminals I say! heathans!!
I can't go round the bastards will just play confused old people and make me all guilty.
huff

MrsTattoo Mon 25-May-15 04:20:50

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets 'bin rage'!grin

I have 4 bins and protect them with my life. Sometimes I'm stood at the gate as the binmen empty them so I can drag them back in before any pesky neighbours try to pinch them. hmm

I need to get out more.blush

SofiaAmes Mon 25-May-15 04:27:31

Our wheelie bins here in Los Angeles all have serial numbers!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now