How much rent?

(10 Posts)
atomich01 Wed 06-May-15 10:44:31

I'm having my 22yo nephew come to stay for 6 weeks over the summer while he's out of Uni. He's offered to pay rent while he's with us. I know he's earning reasonably from his computer business, so I know he's genuine in his offer, but I have no idea how much to charge him? He'll have the converted loft which has a bedroom bathroom and separate sitting area so it's not just a room, but at the same time he's family and I don't want to charge too much! How much do you think would be reasonable? Many thanks in advance!

MrsGrumps Wed 06-May-15 14:10:07

An idea of location might help with this one I think

baies1 Wed 06-May-15 14:29:45

I'm not sure I would for six weeks. What about a one-off contribution towards food and drink and/or dinner out? That's what you'd expect from an older person, no?

If he was staying six months maybe £100/week or so depending on what he was actually costing you.

A room like that in london would typically cost upwards of £700 a month.

atomich01 Wed 06-May-15 19:45:48

We're about 45 minutes outside London, but I don't rent it out usually so that's not really relevant. He seems quite clear that he wants to pay his way. My DH has suggested half of whatever he pays at Uni (bear in mind he will be getting bills and food in with it), do you think that would be reasonable?

JustHavinABreak Wed 06-May-15 22:32:04

I wouldn't really feel comfortable charging family unless this is a room(s) you normally rent out and would therefore be out of pocket for six weeks. Instead I would suggest that he does a couple of grocery shops. If he's still in uni, his computer business isn't likely to be part of the Fortune 500 and we have all needed a hand at getting started at some stage!!

baies1 Thu 07-May-15 01:11:40

Yes, I agree. He's a guest for six weeks. If it was months it would be different.

I would discuss it with him and say how grateful you are that he has offered to pay 'rent' and perhaps he could contribute in another way and how much would he be willing to give?

newbieman1978 Thu 07-May-15 20:46:57

Personally I would'nt charge a family member but we are in the position to be able to afford to feed another adult which is what it amounts to.

Saying that I don't think a 15 or 20 quid a week contribution to the grocery bill is out of order.

Lilmissconcerned Fri 08-May-15 19:59:51

I wouldn't charge either .. in big scheme of things 6 weeks isn't long and he sounds nice offering so it's likely he would probably chip in towards food anyway if he ate a lot

If he's anything like my brother though you'll never see him and he eats out most the time so no trouble at all

Imperial Fri 08-May-15 20:10:38

I think I'd ask for a babysit once a week and maybe a take away towards the end of his stay. Charging family just doesn't feel right.
If he insists then I think I'd take his money, save it and give it back to him as a lump sum at the end of his stay.

Akire Fri 08-May-15 20:11:59

I would charge him say £40 week so that cover food and extra stuff and something for you. If I was earning well and getting free rent from family I would be happy to pay a small amount. It is 6 weeks not just one week. He's getting a great deal and much more than a room so no reason why you shouldn't bother benefit. You will probable spent good chunk of that on food

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now