Talk

Advanced search

Rugby after three concussions

(5 Posts)
Fab41 Tue 05-May-15 11:51:00

My DS is 11, and has been playing club rugby since 7. He started in tag and moved up gradually to this year in under 11s when he has been in full contact, uncontested scrums.

He is very prone to injury and gets very angry with other players or refs if he feels they are not playing fair (although not to them directly, rants at me instead).
He had two minor concussions at the start of the season, both to the back of his head, three weeks apart.
He then had another concussion on Sunday where he was knocked out for 15-20 seconds, before being immobilised and taken to A&E by ambulance. He was given the all clear but is still off school today as he is very tired, emotional and not feeling right. I am taking him to the GP later today, he doesnt have a headache or vomiting. I have done the Headcase training and rugby first aid, so I know what to look for.

But, WWYD, he wants to go back next season. He loves the club and his friends, as do I. How serious does it need to get before I say enough is enough?

Any advice welcome
Thanks

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 05-May-15 11:54:22

have you seen the other rugby thread?
tbh I would not have him play any more, as a matter of Child Protection, as next time it could be a broken neck.

GooseyLoosey Tue 05-May-15 11:58:42

I have a similar issue with ds who is in the under 12s.

He has been in hospital in a coma (for a non-rugby related accident).

He is big for his age and plays lock in the second row of the scrum. I am terrified whenever I watch him play. In fact, I try and avoid watching whenever possible.

I want him to stop club rugby, especially as all of the boys are getting bigger and heavier. It is a vicious game and I don't think it should be played at all. However, his entire social life is underpinned by his involvement in rugby and he tells me (with total sincerity) that stopping would ruin his life.

I don't have any answers either but wanted to extend my sympathies.

Fab41 Tue 05-May-15 12:27:23

Thank you both. I have been following the other thread, and it now feels as though I need to make a decision. He does play other sports; tennis, cricket, football and he is playing drums at grade 4.
I just need to find something to fill his Sundays.

Worried too about when he moves school and rugby is on PE. I would want to keep him out of that. I feel I have assessed the risks as we have gone through club rugby, and now the risks are too high.

IgorTheGiant Wed 02-Dec-15 11:06:23

A number of schools have signed up to a new UK thing called Return2Play, to help record, monitor and treat rugby concussions.

Might be worth seeing if your club/school is going to use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now