Talk

Advanced search

husband doesn't spend enough time with our girls

(4 Posts)
GirlsMummy2 Fri 23-Jan-15 21:30:08

My husband and I have two girls. One who is 3 and a half and another who's 5 months.
He is a self employed tradesman which means he works very long hours, including some weekends.
On top of this, when he is home invariably he's engrossed in paperwork.
When he does get some spare time, for example a job finishing earlier than expected he goes to a pub with his employee and comes home late.
We have no money worries but he can't say no to people so takes on too much.
How do I get him to spend more time with us without nagging him?
Thanks in advance x

friendofsadgirl Sat 24-Jan-15 00:11:41

My DH was the same when DD was younger. He worked shifts and when he wasn't working he slept or went golfing. She's 6 now and he babysits watches her one morning a week while I'm at work. This was a major hassle for him at first!? They seemed to park in front of the tv watching cartoons. After a few months they started going swimming and it has made their relationship so much better. I think he just didn't know what to do with a little girl so avoided being alone with her. Once forced to do childcare by himself, he eventually had to find something they could do together.
You could try encouraging him to spend time with them without you. Maybe if he was asked to take DD1 out? Or if there's something she wants to do, suggest daddy might like to do that with her?
DH's dad wasn't very hands on so I think he had to learn how to be a daddy.

friendofsadgirl Sat 24-Jan-15 00:13:23

Sorry meant to say, since they started spending time together, DH is more keen for 3 of us to do more together!

GirlsMummy2 Fri 30-Jan-15 21:28:15

Thank you for your reply.

I took on board your comments and since my husband has taken our eldest to was his van with him which she loved!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: