Talk

Advanced search

The sensible option vs. fun?!

(6 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Mon 12-Jan-15 23:12:25

This is not a bad dilemma to be in, but I am just interested in people's thoughts:

DH and I have been invited to a friend's wedding in America (we live in the UK so flights would be around £500 per person). It's over a year and a half away. The groom's a close friend of my DH and we don't really know the bride. It's a very small wedding (and they're completely understanding if we can't / don't want to go), so we feel very touched to be invited. Also the destination is somewhere we have always fancied going.

HOWEVER I am wondering if it's sensible to accept the invitation for a few reasons;
1) My current job is temporary, due to end before this wedding, so I don't know what job I'll have by then. This means we don't know for sure where in the country we'll be living, whether I'll be unemployed or between jobs or in something new etc. which all makes me feel a bit unsettled and uncertain of a big financial commitment.

2) If the job situation means we're still living locally to where we are now we may buy a house. Unsure when this will be as depends on various factors, but may well be before / around the time of the wedding. We have savings to cover the house buying so this doesn't impact too much on paying for the flights, although obviously every little will help with solicitors' fees etc. etc.

HippoPottyMouth Mon 12-Jan-15 23:18:34

Well I would go. There are so many what ifs.
You might be in a much better job, quite likely really, most people's earnings go up over time. Plenty of time to save up for it too, so that even if you are between jobs you should be able to enjoy it still!

BackforGood Mon 12-Jan-15 23:24:17

I would go too, particularly if you can put the money you will need aside now - so won't be dependent on being able to afford it at the time.
He will only be getting married once (hopefully), and the fact you can combine it with somewhere you'd like to go on holiday means it's meant to be. smile

Sundayplease Mon 12-Jan-15 23:27:56

You've received an invitation to a wedding that is over a year and a half away?! I would make sure it is actually going ahead a bit nearer the time before I booked anything/worried about it.

Fadingmemory Mon 12-Jan-15 23:33:20

Opt for fun. When you reached 90, you would be able look at the photos of the wedding and remember that event. Or would you rather look back with nostalgia at not having gone to the wedding --because you were thinking about the mortgage.

Some memories are priceless!

ThePartyArtist Tue 13-Jan-15 08:40:41

The last part of my post accidentally deleted - meant to also say 2016 may be the time for a baby. But that's just maybe so don't know how much I should put other stuff on hold!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: