Talk

Advanced search

Re-using cot mattress ?

(7 Posts)
ohcluttergotme Fri 09-Jan-15 15:14:17

We had the Rachel Cotbed from John Lewis for our DS which we got a sprung mattress for it.

Ds used it in his cot and he wore a nappy. He then had it as a bed and I used a plastic sheet under his sheet for any accidents.

Our Dd is now 6 months and in the cot.
I've got her in it with the old mattress until I buy her a new one.

Was going to go and get her a new one tomorrow.

Would you buy a new one or use old one?

FATEdestiny Fri 09-Jan-15 15:17:08

I would reuse it.

BeverleyCrusher Fri 09-Jan-15 15:20:38

Reuse. If you know it's not had anything nasty, why not?

My 3 all had the same cotbed mattress as it was a good one. Each had a new tiny crib mattress though as they were just foam and so got dents in after a couple of months.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Fri 09-Jan-15 15:32:00

I would also reuse it. It's vomiting and milk as much as urine and faeces though. If you're happy the whole mattress has always had a waterproof protector then I would personally be perfectly happy to reuse it provided it wasn't sagging and still fit tight to the cot bars.

ohcluttergotme Fri 09-Jan-15 15:36:51

It does still fit really tightly to bars and when I was putting the fitted sheet on I was thinking it looked in really good condition and a shame to throw it out.
There wasn't any milk spilt as ds was breastfed up to 6 months and then had dream feed until 1 & so didn't have a bottle in bed.
Sure he must of been sick but was always washed down.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Fri 09-Jan-15 16:31:17

This is fairly clear
www.ehow.co.uk/way_5317104_replace-babys-mattress.html

We have two washable waterproof mattress protectors which are like a fitted sheet and is a god send. You can just take it off with the fitted sheet on top, put a new set on and wash them. You just have to remember not to tumbledry the waterproof one.

If the mattress is odour free then I'd call it clean. The SIDS risk is from bacteria in the mattress; a soft sagging mattress, gaps between the mattress and the bars and signs of deterioration [springs poking through etc].

If there are any smells I'd give it a good scrub/steam clean and make a call then.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/parenting/a1054898-WHY-do-new-babies-need-new-mattresses

TryingtobePrepared Mon 12-Jan-15 12:55:19

I agree with everything everyone has said but decided to buy a new cotbed mattress. Put simply we could afford it and I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself if something had happened to dd2. Even now I know it was a real heart over head decision but there goes. Also it did help that I knew I could pass the mattress on to a good cause. I was fortunate to be able to make that choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now