Talk

Advanced search

21 week old ds and wrist fracture

(14 Posts)
GingerCuddleMonster Thu 08-Jan-15 16:12:54

what do I do? how do I cope??

I refused a cast and have a splint so I can bathe and wash bottles, but still it really hurts.

any hints and tips for doing things?

JennyOnTheBlocks Thu 08-Jan-15 16:15:55

oh you poor thing - lots of pain relief and rest as much as you can

do you have a partner? can they take time off to do all the things you'd normally be doing?

GingerCuddleMonster Thu 08-Jan-15 16:18:54

I do have a partner but he is away Mon-friday with work. I'm in work too most days so it's mainly the evenings I'm going to struggle with, he's horrendous at night too constantly up and awake and needs cuddling, this is going to mow sleepless nights even worse sad.

TryingtobePrepared Fri 09-Jan-15 09:52:43

Sounds horrid poor you, I did similar pre dcs so cant imagine how you're managing. dd1 was terrible to settle at night but after many months we (OK dp) worked out the more we (ok i ) tried to comfort the longer she took to settle. I'm not suggesting controlled crying although do know folk its worked for but you could try patting while DC is in the cot, or sshh ing. It would save your arm a bit & might suit DC more. Dd2 goes into cot, we leave the room & she cries in a protest sort of way, not her distressed cry, for 5-10 mins at worst & then sleeps. She's 7 months but we've been doing this since around 3 months ish.

Know ready made formula is v expensive but that could help a little. Sorry can't think of more

Hope your recovery goes smoothly. flowers

Buttercup27 Fri 09-Jan-15 09:56:32

Would a plaster reduce the pain ? If it would , could you wrap it in clingfilm to keep to dry when bathing etc? At least you would be able to balance stuff using your arm and carry stuff against you, using your arm.

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Fri 09-Jan-15 10:48:44

When DS broke his arm we got a cast cover that was waterproof enough to swim in. Maybe get a cast and get one of those? Supposed to be much less painful.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 09-Jan-15 10:52:14

I really feel for you, DH has recently broken his hand badly (no choice but to have full cast) and 5 weeks later is only just able to help more with DD without being in lots of pain. Is there anyone around who can help out, even if just for an hour or 2 a week to get on top of things?

18yearstooold Fri 09-Jan-15 10:53:58

I had a scaphoid fracture when dd1 was 2 and dd2 was 8 months

Using a splint was a lot more painful than a cast

I got a cast cover and managed ok

The first 2 weeks were really hard but pain reduced and I got more crafty dealing with things

GingerCuddleMonster Fri 09-Jan-15 11:01:55

I'm doing better this morning, I've taken some codine, so th pain is gone, I don't think is cope with a cast if I'm honest, I have images of getting baby poo in it or something grin.

I'm managing to open bottles left handed and luckily have a perfect prep machine so no boiling kettles, the only issue I'm having is DS is getting a bit upset about the lack of cuddles and has resorted to giving me dirty looks about it shock I'm sure he will get over it.

DP is home this evening till Sunday so 2days of rest is what I'm hoping for, I won't hold my breath though he's a bit all.fingers and thumbs sometimes and sqeels when he gets baby poo on his hand....men

GingerCuddleMonster Fri 09-Jan-15 11:03:04

I'm doing better this morning, I've taken some codine, so th pain is gone, I don't think is cope with a cast if I'm honest, I have images of getting baby poo in it or something grin.

I'm managing to open bottles left handed and luckily have a perfect prep machine so no boiling kettles, the only issue I'm having is DS is getting a bit upset about the lack of cuddles and has resorted to giving me dirty looks about it shock I'm sure he will get over it.

DP is home this evening till Sunday so 2days of rest is what I'm hoping for, I won't hold my breath though he's a bit all.fingers and thumbs sometimes and sqeels when he gets baby poo on his hand....men

GingerCuddleMonster Fri 09-Jan-15 11:04:14

GingerCuddleMonster Fri 09-Jan-15 11:19:49

wow what happened then?? shock.

TryingtobePrepared Fri 09-Jan-15 11:19:51

Well dp won't be all fingers & thumbs after more practicegrin

have a lovely restful weekend.

GingerCuddleMonster Fri 09-Jan-15 13:04:34

true, he will be home by 4 I can't bloody wait! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now