Talk

Advanced search

Lesbian nanny - looking for advice and opinions :)

(28 Posts)
NYC23 Thu 08-Jan-15 14:40:52

Hi all!

I hope I'm posting in the right place..?

I'm a nanny to 2 children and I started 2 months ago. On the second interview, the parents asked if I had a boyfriend - not prying at all, just in a casual chit chat way, and I said no because I have a girlfriend instead! So because they specifically asked if I had a boyfriend, not a partner, I felt inclined to say no as I wasn't sure how they'd react!

2 months on, in our casual chat, the topic of boyfriends comes up and it's pretty awkward and when asked about my weekend etc, it's isually been spent with my partner I find myself fluffing an answer etc...

Anyway the dad has made a few comments like "oh you're going to be a rug muncher" "are you going to turn in to a dyke" "I will change your facebook status to im a lesbian and in love with blah blah" anyway you get the gist.

Shall I tell them? If yes how? It rally isn't a big deal for me but I don't know how they'd teact haha. I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill!

JeanSeberg Thu 08-Jan-15 14:43:36

Your relationship status/sex life is none of their business but I wouldn't want to work for a homophobic arsehole. In your shoes I'd be looking for another job.

Jackiebrambles Thu 08-Jan-15 14:44:30

Jesus christ the dad said those things to you??

That's awful!

I wouldn't tell them anything. And I'd be looking for another job if I was you!!

WishUponAStar88 Thu 08-Jan-15 14:45:43

No advice but the dad sounds like a knob I'm not sure I could work for someone like that but you certainly shouldn't feel that you have to hide who you are.

SaucyMare Thu 08-Jan-15 14:48:58

leave them.

SunnyBaudelaire Thu 08-Jan-15 14:53:46

if the dad is making comments like that you should leave and find a new job

alittlehouslessmatch Thu 08-Jan-15 14:56:38

Oh dear. what a dickhead.

I would let them know in a matter of fact way. Perhaps tell the MB and say that DB has been making some comments which make you feel a bit uncomfortable, so she can deal with him?

I have a gay nanny and nanny subtly let me know in the interview without making a big point of it. Not that it should matter (and it totally didn't matter to me at all) but given the close personal relationship you end up developing between a nanny and employer, it might be nice to make sure you haven't misjudged your boss!

katandkits Thu 08-Jan-15 14:58:45

The dad, as your employer, is acting illegally as well as being a knob. Imagine if you took him to a tribunal! You can't say those things to an employee!

Isabeller Thu 08-Jan-15 15:00:06

Just another shock at the homophobic comments. Good luck however you decide to resolve it.

LetticeKnollys Thu 08-Jan-15 15:10:29

If it were me (and maybe this is a bit spineless) I wouldn't want to create an atmosphere by saying something and then having to see them every day, so I would try and find another job and then let them know why when you leave.

I don't think you should just put up with it though, I'm surprised you seem to be considering that! Some things just aren't on, it's about self respect really.

MajesticWhine Thu 08-Jan-15 15:45:39

That dad sounds like a vile individual. I think you have a right to privacy and they don't need to know anything about your relationship status. However, I think I would tell them, and say yes, actually I am a lesbian and I am rather upset by your comments. That will shut him up, and hopefully shame him too. And hopefully it might possibly make him rethink his pathetic comments. You will never hear any questions about your weekend again in all likelihood.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 08-Jan-15 15:50:05

Tbh OP you are focusing on the wrong thing here. He is a homophobic dickhead.

Id repeat ad nauseum "my love life is no concern of yours" whilst jobhunting!

FrancesNiadova Mon 12-Jan-15 22:43:19

shock & very angry for you NYC. Remind him that this is the 21st Century & it's none of his business!
(Look for another job & run, run away!)

DancingDinosaur Mon 12-Jan-15 22:45:10

I'd look for another job.

Mydelilah Mon 12-Jan-15 22:48:18

The comments the dad made are absolutely atrocious! Your sexual orientation is irrelevant to your job. His comments are shocking in any normal context; from your employer they are highly discriminatory as well.

Unless you are happy for your employer to be a prejudiced bastard who makes that type of comment to you, suggest you look for a new job.

WhirlyTwirlySnowflakes Mon 12-Jan-15 22:51:01

Regardless of your sexual orientation those comments are highly offensive and out of line.

LynetteScavo Mon 12-Jan-15 23:08:41

Wow! shock

No don't tell them anything, it's none of their business.

Do tell them you are offended if they say such things again.

And yes, I would look for another job.

CaptainHolt Mon 12-Jan-15 23:14:46

I'd leave. Not only is he massively homophobic, but he has no boundaries or respect or awareness of appropriate behaviour. I bet a shiny pound that if you did have a boyfriend then he'd be asking explicit stuff about your sex life. In fact that is possibly what he is trying to provoke out of you.

ChippingInLatteLover Mon 12-Jan-15 23:21:19

I wouldn't make a point of it. Just wait until he says something stupid again (guessing that won't take long) and reply accordingly. So if he says 'I'll changed your fb status to lesbian, in love with Susan'. Just say, 'You'd better get her name right or Jane will be well pissed off.

I assume you aren't living in with this job then!

ProcrastIWillFinishThisLater Mon 12-Jan-15 23:28:34

Ew what a total arse. I'd look for another job tbh. He deserves to be embarrassed about what he said, but not at the cost to you of your working atmosphere. But, when you give in your notice, tell him why. He needs a wake up call about his attitude and behaviour.

Tzibeleh Mon 12-Jan-15 23:32:09

I wouldn't say anything about your personal life to them. Such an offensive man could well take your gayness as a challenge, and try to 'turn' you, or find it kinky and attractive.

I think it's time to job-hunt. And definitely tell them, afterwards, why you needed to leave.

balia Mon 12-Jan-15 23:32:37

Yeuch. Just yeuch.

Echo look for new job but in the meantime, whenever he says that you are turning into a lesbian, say 'well spending time with you would do that to any woman' or similar.

His poor wife.

AnnieLobeseder Mon 12-Jan-15 23:33:18

As others have said, your sexual orientation is irrelevant, your employer is being hugely inappropriate and is an utter cock. It's shame for you, because with the job you do you can't have him hauled in front of HR for inappropriate behaviour. Obviously it's up to you, but I don't think I could stay in a situation like that.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 13-Jan-15 00:32:12

Your employer, of a very short time, thinks it is appropriate to talk about oral sex, sexual orientation and invasion of your privacy. What a repulsive specimen.

If you found them through an agency, I would definitely let them know not to work with this man again. And, find a new job. If you could find an employment expert to advise about leaving/constructive dismissal etc. that would be great...

MuscatBouschet Tue 13-Jan-15 00:42:42

Start making a log of the times and dates when these things were said in case it does all end badly...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: