Talk

Advanced search

Amazing Tinder date last night - do I text him to ask out again or wait?

(21 Posts)
Tulip1011 Tue 30-Dec-14 17:25:43

So...I'm single but new to it, need advice! Had a great date last night with clever funny guy with a great song at the end... Was hoping he'd text to see me again but it's now 5.30pm the next day and not heard (other than a few jokey texts about something we were talking about). As the girl...should I suggest meeting again or just wait to hear from him?? Am worried I may have put him off by telling him I don't want anything too serious as 2 months since last relationship. Don't want to look needy but I'd love to see him again...

Tulip1011 Tue 30-Dec-14 17:26:13

Doh song = snog!! Damn predictive text

MorrisZapp Tue 30-Dec-14 17:27:28

I'm old fashioned on this and my rules are rigid. It's up to the man to make first contact after a first date.

Hold your nerve!

Tulip1011 Tue 30-Dec-14 17:42:06

Yeah...ur probably right...ahh need to stop staring at the phone!!

HomeHelpMeGawd Tue 30-Dec-14 20:57:11

I couldn't disagree more. If you enjoyed your time and want to do it again, say so! If he's going to be put off by that, he's a numpty and you're well out of it anyway

Tulip1011 Wed 31-Dec-14 11:38:34

Oh dear you have a valid point as well! We have sent a few messages both agreeing we had a great date...I'm going to give him 2 more days, it is NYE after all...then I'll say something smile thanks for advice

WhatsGoingOnEh Wed 31-Dec-14 11:45:00

You won't have put him off by saying you aren't looking for anything serious. Really. I told a man that on one if our very early dates and we're getting married in June. smile

Who contacted who first on Tinder? Whose idea was it to meet for that date? Who contacted whom first with jokey post-date texts? who initiated the kiss?

Tulip1011 Wed 31-Dec-14 17:16:57

I messaged him first on tinder as soon as we matched...he suggested date...I started the post date texts...he initiated kiss. No word from him today though :-(

Tulip1011 Thu 01-Jan-15 08:38:43

Update - I got bored of waiting and asked him out...thought sod if he's not interested he's not interested smile we have a date next week. The old rules no longer apply x

WhatsGoingOnEh Thu 01-Jan-15 10:34:16

"The old rules no longer apply"? Careful with this line of thinking!

It isn't "old rules" that stop clever many women from asking men out. It's that they'd rather only spend time with men who actually like them. If he didn't contact you on Tinder, or after the date, or ask YOU out, you have to wonder how interested he really is. Don't you? How hard can it be to suggest a second date?

I know you've got a date arranged and you're excited but PLEASE don't start thinking that you're just being "liberated" if you start ignoring his lack of interest. Have fun but leave initiating everything up to him now. It'll save you time and heartache in the future.

MorrisZapp Thu 01-Jan-15 11:02:21

The old rules still do apply, sorry. Of course you've got a date, he wasn't going to say no was he.

But you'll never know now if he had any intention of seeing you again after your first date. Have fun, but for the love of god let him do the asking after this date.

differentnameforthis Thu 01-Jan-15 11:27:49

Its 2015! Do what YOU want to do.

I don't play games like 'it's up to the man' & then moan that he hasn't contacted me by the time it's 24hrs later. If I was interested, I'd make a move to text him etc. Life is too short to play games.

But that's me..you have to do what YOU want.

WhatsGoingOnEh Thu 01-Jan-15 13:43:38

"Life is too short to play games." Yes. But it's also too short to waste time in men who aren't truly, 100% interested. We all know women who've lived with men, had KIDS with men, who years later won't commit and leave them for someone else.

Men will go along with a girlfriend for companionship, regular sex, a quiet life - a million reasons. These women are "Good For Now" companions, and are very vulnerable to being dumped along the line. It's far better to guard your heart before you get into this situation. Make sure a man is very interested (asking you out, contacting you regularly, not chasing anyone else, etc) at the START and you're less likely to be ditched or treated casually later on.

It saves a lot more time in the long run! A LOT more.

Tulip1011 Fri 02-Jan-15 01:00:34

I see your points and will be really careful that he is doing the chasing from now on...

meandjulio Fri 02-Jan-15 01:15:09

I dunno. I hate gameplaying of any sort. I met dh, liked him, asked him out. I knew he wanted to be with me because when I asked him if he'd like to go to a concert together he said 'Yes that would be great'. If you're quite a straightforward person, it's better that the other person knows that right away.

differentnameforthis Fri 02-Jan-15 01:38:45

meandjulio Agreed! if I waited for dh to ask me out, it would never have happened (he was on holiday - from overseas - in my home town at the time & wasn't looking for anything to happen). I asked him, we dated, 25yr later & the rest is history.

My point is, my life is how it is because I took the bull by it's horns. Otherwise, I wouldn't be where I am now.

peasandlove Fri 02-Jan-15 01:42:08

tinder takes away the old rules seeing as it's used by most for meeting up for sex. It's hardly dating and courting

GrandTheftQuarto Fri 02-Jan-15 01:42:19

"Chasing" isn't really a lot of effort for a guy. If he's the kind of man who would go out on another date with you if you asked when he's not really interested, on the off chance of a shag, then he'd probably have asked you out again anyway. It's not as if requesting a second date is some kind of symbol of commitment that shows he's 100% interested.

GrandTheftQuarto Fri 02-Jan-15 01:46:14

Also, long term, I'd rather be with a man who finds it attractive when I show I'm actively interested in him, rather than a man who's attracted to women who aren't visibly interested.

JeanSeberg Fri 02-Jan-15 01:47:01

Let him organise the date now op and don't send any more texts.

MirandaWest Fri 02-Jan-15 02:06:50

I really don't understand why men are meant to do all the asking for dates. Seems odd to me.

What happens in homosexual relationships - how do they decide who asks who for the next date? Are there special "rules" for homosexual dating?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now