Talk

Advanced search

if the job you loved had a horrible side?

(4 Posts)
VixxenPlusAllTheOtherReindeers Tue 23-Dec-14 08:31:40

I love my job and the people I work with. I go to work happy everyday which is a first for me.
However every three weeks I am call for a week. So only two week break each time.

Being on call is a nightmare. I can't go out as there are constant calls, complaints, people being late and people calling in sick which can mean phone calls between 6 am and 11:30. Sometimes it is good but sometimes it is BAD where I am trying to get cover for six different things at 7am.

You don't get to opt out. I don't think the money is great either for being on call especially when you have to work a forty hour week then be on call between 6-9 and 5-11:30 ish.

I really love my main jobsad

EBearhug Tue 23-Dec-14 08:48:16

Yes, on-call is almost unavoidable in my role, and it's something I ask about in interview - currently, I'll probably be called out once or twice a week, on average. That's a lot more manageable than once or twice a night or worse. No amount of money really compensates for being woken at 3am for a broken computer.

VixxenPlusAllTheOtherReindeers Tue 23-Dec-14 20:23:22

Would it ever be a deal breaker for you?

EBearhug Tue 23-Dec-14 21:09:08

Yes, but then I am speaking as someone who has been looking for other work while in a job - I can afford to be fussy.

It's difficult to avoid on-call entirely in my line, but if they regularly have a heavy week which would really impact my sleep and therefore my quality of life for more than the odd night here and there, I just don't think it would be worth the money. They can take on some fit young person recently out of college. grin

I can't say I love my main job, mind you. There are bits of it I love, and quite a bit of it which I like, but I certainly wouldn't be doing it if I weren't being paid; I do have friends who would do their job even if they weren't paid, but I've never felt that over any job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now