Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to Italy in motor home when baby is 3.5months

(12 Posts)
JontyDoggle37 Sat 20-Dec-14 08:53:37

Hi hoping for some experienced help...
Our first child is due end April, and we had planned to go to Italy this summer in our motor home, for 3 weeks, as I'm off on maternity leave so no problems with holiday allowance. I'd been really comfortable with the idea, because we can pack everything we need with us, no worries about hotel cots, etc and we can stop whenever we need to feed etc. however, on looking at buying our travel system, I've just found out it's not recommended for babies to stay in car set for longer than 2 hours. When we're travelling down through France we would probably drive 2.5-3 hours in the morning, and again in the afternoon with a decent (1-2 hour) lunch break, so we can spend as much time as possible actually in Italy. Travelling this way, it will probably take us 2.5 days to get to Northern Italy. Once there, we would only be driving max 1-2 hours per day, if that, as we often stop in one place for a few days, or just meander 30 minutes more down the coast etc. is this going to be really unreasonable for the baby? My DH can do much of the driving if I'm tired from feeding etc, so I'm not worried about the coping bit, just the baby's comfort....

StetsonsAreCool Sat 20-Dec-14 08:58:25

Could you look into a lie flat car seat? We used one for DD when we drove to mid-France when she was 9 weeks old. Meant she didn't have to get out of the car seat after a couple of hours if she didn't need to for feeding or nappy changes etc. It also worked as a carry cot, so one less piece of pushchair kit to take.

Only thing is the one we had goes across two seats and attaches to the seat belts - I don't know what the practicalities of that would be in a camper?

Iggi999 Sat 20-Dec-14 09:03:14

I feel exhausted just reading that, and I am a motor camper person myself. What will the baby do during these daily long car journeys? It sounds very lacking in stimulation for him/her, not seeing faces especially if lo is in the back.
I know there are lots of people on here who have accomplished this type of thing (and more) - I really liked the book Have Baby Will Travel. And a pre-mobile bf baby has a lot of advantages. But with both mine I was ready for a long weekend in a cottage somewhere at 3 months, the campervan stayed firmly parked for a long time! Until you have had the baby it is so so hard to know what sort of mother you'll be, what soft of baby you'll have....
Will it disturb other campers if your baby cries at night? My ds2 screamed in his car seat, ds1 loved it.
Note - I'm posting all the "nay" stuff, I'm sure someone will be along with the more positive angle!!

Iggi999 Sat 20-Dec-14 09:04:04

I don't know of any lie-flat seats that have scored well in Which crash tests.

MaybeDoctor Sat 20-Dec-14 09:35:39

What about you flying separately with the baby to the south of France and meeting up with your DH and camper van there?

Cherriesandapples Sat 20-Dec-14 09:47:16

We took our baby travelling to Italy and stayed in a motor home and stayed campsites in Germany and Italy but she was the second baby and an easy baby. I could not have coped with my first baby as he was a really needy baby. The campsite in Germany was amazingly baby friendly with a play zone and a sofa with free herbal tea for tired parents! We stayed at sites for 5/7 days though so not lots of moving!

Cherriesandapples Sat 20-Dec-14 09:48:52

I did fly with my easy baby as well and it was awful!

Hedgehogsbuzz1 Sat 20-Dec-14 10:02:05

I think flying and meeting your DH in Italy is a great idea. If the baby is one that just wants to be held continually, then a short two hour flight will be much preferable to 40 (20 there and back?) hours strapped into a car seat

fallingdownrabbit Sat 20-Dec-14 10:02:19

I think it will depend on the baby. Some babies - fine. They will be happy and settled for a couple of hours in a car seat. others will hate it and cry. Don't -underestimate the absolute hair pulling stress of an upset baby in a car seat. It is miserable for all.

Hedgehogsbuzz1 Sat 20-Dec-14 10:03:25

Also it's likely you will be sleep deprived and so may not want to drive much

StetsonsAreCool Sat 20-Dec-14 19:18:54

The Britax seat we've got was the one Which scored most highly at the time - 70ish% IIRC. It might have changed since then, I wouldn't know as I don't have a current subscription. Most of the 'cons' were because of the non-standard installation, which isn't a problem once you've been shown how to do it properly. Like I said though, I don't know if that would be feasible in a camper - suppose it depends on the seating layout.

jendot2 Sun 21-Dec-14 21:59:40

It will be fine and you will have an amazing time. Just adjust your schedule to accommodate baby. At 3.5m all they do is eat, sleep and poo. Being in a carseat all day for a few days will not damage him/ her in any way (yes if you did it all day every day for weeks then that would be different). He/she will sleep while travelling. If she gets grumpy just pull over for a break.
Sounds like bliss!
I am a have baby can travel kind of girl. I backpacked alone round Egypt with a 2 and 5yr old, it was the best trip I have ever been on (but I was declared insane for even considering it).
Go for it and enjoy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now