Talk

Advanced search

How do I distance myself....

(5 Posts)
madchocolatemum48 Sat 20-Dec-14 07:49:09

My children started a new school this year, absolutely love it.
I have been getting to know other mums, chatting at the gate, going for a coffee etc. Two of the mums were up for get-togethers more often so I joined in.
They have been critical of other parents, teachers and the school but I just listened and tried to change the subject.
A couple of weeks ago one of them had a spat with another parent, and they have completely turned into a pair of bitches. I have been avoiding them but every time we meet they drag me into it.
I know it all sounds really childish and I just stop talking to them but it is a new and awkward situation for me.
I have no intention of getting in touch over the holidays, so next year I keep my distance.
I don't want my children to be involved in any way.
Any advice?

MinceSpy Sat 20-Dec-14 07:54:24

Either keep declining invites and ignoring them or just say your not comfortable talking about people behind their backs. This unpleasant pair will soon get the message. Just be warned you may become a target for their gossip for a while.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 20-Dec-14 08:00:15

When i have people that get involved in fall outs i innocently say 'ooh, i must have missed that' and then i wander off, get on with other stuff, be busy with other things and purposely do not engage again. Get good at asking innocuous subject changing things like 'ooh did you see that, was it an eagle? I must get some more bread, do you find the bread never lasts these days, yada yada yada'.

madchocolatemum48 Sat 20-Dec-14 08:17:13

Thanks, I would give the same advice if I was asked but it doesn't seem so straight forward when it is actually happening to you....
It just feels so uncomfortable and ridiculous.'
I do want to 'say' something but I don't want to 'engage' with them either.
I'm new at the school and really don't want to be associated with 'them'
New start after the holidays. Just smile and keep walking. I'll use the Can't stop, I'm soooo busy line for a while.

FunkyBoldRibena Sat 20-Dec-14 08:37:35

it doesn't seem so straight forward when it is actually happening to you

I am so sorry, I missed that. Will catch up with you later, got an appointment to get to. Have a lovely day.

See, easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now