Talk

Advanced search

Sick child-take time off work?

(14 Posts)
ameliarose2012 Mon 08-Dec-14 21:08:24

DD (2.6) is uncharacteristically ill.

She started with a cold last week, but over the weekend has gradually gone downhill. She had a temp about 1.5 degrees above normal yesterday, and wanted to cuddle with me and DH all day. This is totally unlike her - normally I have to bribe her for a 2 second hug! We gave her calpol, and she seemed to perk up. Her temperature dropped, and she was almost back to her normal self.

I went to work today, DH dropped her at the childminders with strict instructions to ring if there were any problems. I informed work there was a possibility I might be needed and that was fine. I didn't hear anything all day so assumed she was fine.

Picked her up and she looked horrendous! CM said she'd gone rapidly downhill in the last 30 mins (possibly this morning's calpol wearing off?). Her eyes were watering and full of green gunk, her nose was snotty and she clearly had a temperature. Once home she cried every time I put her down and was just generally sleepy/ hot/ unhappy.

Tomorrow she normally would be with my sister, so not a childcare setting. My issue is that it would mean dragging her 30 mins away on public transport (DH doesn't drive) when she's clearly not well. She is NEVER ill, and so I am completely at a loss as to what constitutes acceptable time off!

WWYD - go to work, or stay at home?

Starsaboveyou Mon 08-Dec-14 21:12:55

Could your sister come to you as a one off?

sillymillyb Mon 08-Dec-14 21:16:08

Hmmm, my gut reaction is that because it never happens and she wanted me, I would stay off work if I could. I can rearrange my diary sometimes to accommodate stuff like this though, and appreciate not everyone's job is able to do that. I hope she feels better soon smile

ameliarose2012 Mon 08-Dec-14 21:17:05

Unfortunately not. Long story (would warrant a whole other thread probably!) but my DN (14) has to be home schooled due to aspie problems. His teacher needs a chaperone, so she has to be at home all day with them.

avocadogreen Mon 08-Dec-14 21:19:25

Stay at home. Sometimes it's just got to be done.

if she has green in her eyes I would stay home and get a Gp appointment. She could have conjunctivitis. I hope she is better soon.

cantmakecarrotcake Mon 08-Dec-14 21:23:07

I think I'd stay home. Can you work at home at all? My work are quite reasonable about home working with poorly kids. The urgent stuff gets done while kid watches CBeebies/Frozen and the rest is caught up on another day.

DH and I often cover half days each but we both work locally so there's no commute to factor in.

vestandknickers Mon 08-Dec-14 21:23:15

Of course you must stay home.

You'd only worry and feel awful all day if you did go to work.

Sometimes being a Mum just has to come first.

Hope your DD feels better soon.

2cats2many Mon 08-Dec-14 21:25:16

Take the day off. It's to be expected from time to time.

CocktailQueen Mon 08-Dec-14 21:25:37

Of course stay at home! Could be conjunctivitis. Sounds like she could do with a duvet day, bless her.

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 08-Dec-14 21:26:54

Stay home. Done it many-a-time, as my non-existent annual leave allowance will attest.

ameliarose2012 Mon 08-Dec-14 21:45:51

Oh I'm really glad you all said that. I hate taking time off work, and always feel disproportionately guilty when I do! I'm a TA in a school, so can't work from home. I just cause problems for all kinds of people! And my teacher has just reminded me we're out on a mini trip tomorrow which I forgot about, so it'll screw up the ratios if I'm not there fconfused

ameliarose2012 Tue 09-Dec-14 19:32:06

She's no better today really, but DH is off work tomorrow. I know he's more than capable, but I don't want to go to work and leave her when she's so ill! Is it really beyond acceptable to take another day off?

wannabestressfree Tue 09-Dec-14 19:41:59

If your husband is off I would go to work. I have had to teach all day and leave my poorly son. It's the territory I am afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now