Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Or rather, where would you live? Leeds area.

(8 Posts)
IAmAPaleontologist Wed 26-Nov-14 15:11:34

This is a very big if and certainly not happening in the next 18 months. Just that things are a bit up in the air with dh's work and I'm trying to wrap my head around the possibility. But I don't want to move <<stamps foot>>.

Currently live in a little village, walking distance to next village with local shops, Dr, Dentist (on of those rare as hen's teeth NHS ones) and schools. Dc go to a brilliant school and we are highly likely to have no trouble getting them into excellent secondary schools when the time comes. The park and miles of cycle paths are pretty literally out the back door. The village hall is in spitting distance where dcs go to Beavers and Cubs and it has a great community with quiz nights, fairs, family film nights etc. It is safe and the dcs play out from a young age (around 5) with their friends, I can go for hours without seeing ds1. He comes back when he is hungry or goes to his mate's house and scavenges for food there.

A nice 3 bed house is £125k. One with work to do can be as little as £50k

We are a short drive from a small city, and 50 min drive from bigger one.

Where on Earth would I start to get that sort of life?

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 26-Nov-14 15:48:44

Anyone from around that area? Dh is currently amusing himself looking at converted chapels in Hebden Bridge. I feel he may have slightly exaggerated ideas of what my starting salary will be when I qualify if I even manage to get a job.

FelixFelix Wed 26-Nov-14 15:57:36

I've lived in Leeds for a few years (always around 3 miles from the city centre) but have just moved out to Baildon which is technically Bradford but still only 12 miles out from Leeds. It's right on the moors and it has a really lovely community feel to it. The schools are great and there's loads to do. It's right next to Saltaire too which is awesome.

Have a look on the train line out from Leeds to Ilkley (I wanted to move to Burley in Wharfedale originally) or look at Otley if you don't need a train station. Farsley, Horsforth, Rodley are all nice too. Going out towards Bradford there's Calverley too which is another area we looked at.

Sorry if some of the house prices are too much, as I'm a renter so no idea about how much the areas cost to buy.

Hopefully others will come along to help as I don't know a great deal about some areas.

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 26-Nov-14 16:15:23

Thank you, that's some good ideas. Train line is good for dh's work although not completely necessary.

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 26-Nov-14 16:20:14

I moved to Leeds years ago, although most of my family is from here originally.

I am in a cheaper part of town I suppose, in Kirkstall, and I love it but please don't tell anyone else as it'slike Aldi and getting a bit too popular for my liking; which has reflected in house prices in recent years! DC go to a good school in the nearby more affluent suburb and we have all the cool things about the city really close by!

That being said Baildon etc are lovely as PP said (and not too far along the canal on my bike for an afternoon out smile )

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 26-Nov-14 17:27:29

Thank you

BellaVita Wed 26-Nov-14 17:37:12

What about York? We live in a village about 7 miles out of the centre. DH drives to Leeds every day for work.

TheGirl I spent many hours at Kirkstall Abbey after school and on a weekend with friends as I grew up.

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 26-Nov-14 20:19:36

Hmm not sure I could cope with York traffic all the time. But nice villages between Leeds and York could work. I just want the right community and schools and where we can afford.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now