Advanced search

Report to social services or not?

(10 Posts)
Fastcarsandsoftcats Tue 25-Nov-14 11:25:07

I'm not quite sure where to post this, I hope I have picked the right section. Apologies for referring to the child as 'it' but I would like for this to remain firmly anonymous.

We feel the way members of our family are treating their children, particularly the youngest (3 yrs old) is tantamount to abuse. There was an attempt with the elder child to do something similar but this was scuppered by family intervention, however it is being repeated with the youngest and we are not in a position to intervene.

The child is being deliberately presented as disabled, it is not being fed adequately, it is not stimulated, endless hospital appointments are made and investigations initiated but not followed through to diagnosis (appointments are cancelled). This is all in the name of gaining extra benefits - which I understand are currently significant and if this continues, will increase. We strongly suspect Munchausen's by Proxy as there is endless proclamations of love on FaceBook but the reality is somewhat different.

Should social services be approached immediately or should we as a family first seek tangible evidence through the hiring of a private investigator?

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 25-Nov-14 11:26:28

I would just call SS tbh

LaurieFairyCake Tue 25-Nov-14 11:27:39

Yes, SS - I always recommend this anyway even if you're suspicious as they can quickly decide if intervention/advice/help is required.

I hope you're wrong about your family member as being right here is hideous sad

BackOnlyBriefly Tue 25-Nov-14 11:36:57

Call Social Services and tell them what you know.

I frequently argue against reporting, but that's when it's just a guess about a neighbour or someone in the street. You are in a position to know there's something wrong so it's right to tell them and let them evaluate just what needs to be done.

26Point2Miles Tue 25-Nov-14 13:16:35

what could a private investigator do?

Cauliflowersneeze1 Wed 26-Nov-14 19:12:39

You really do need to report this ASAP

Call the duty team

Lulu3108 Mon 01-Dec-14 23:24:16

Maunchausens is what I believed it to be a belief that a parent one that is an obsessive parent over their child's health. A false belief that there is something wrong with their child. Not for claiming more benefits. Tread very carefully as social services do save lives but have ruined many too. The care system has failed many but if you do report do it annonymously as tit for tat they could get on your back aswell and once they get on someone's back it's very hard to shake them off....

SoonToBeSix Mon 01-Dec-14 23:28:27

Child dla is very hard to claim, you can't fake illnesses. It may be that the child is indeed sick and you are jumping to horrible conclusions.

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 01-Dec-14 23:30:18

What do you mean by not fed adequately, not stimulated?

feelingunsupported Mon 01-Dec-14 23:35:24

Won't hv / ss already be aware if the child is missing hospital appointments??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: