Talk

Advanced search

giving baby semi skimmed milk

(19 Posts)
imyourhuckleberry Fri 14-Nov-14 07:59:35

a friend of mine is weaning her 7 month old and said she is giving her daughter semi skimmed milk.
I tried to explain how dangerous this is but she told me her sister did the same with her own children, and she will listen to her sister first.
I have just seen a bit on the news about Daniel Pelka and it made me think I should do more to ensure her little girl is getting the correct nutrition. ok, so its not out and out abuse but it is not good is it.
what would you do?

ilovepowerhoop Fri 14-Nov-14 08:08:59

do you mean the milk is in her food or is she giving it as a drink? if in food then it isnt too bad as she will still be having formula or breastmilk as her main milk drink. If it is as a main milk drink then it isn't suitable as it is too low in fat, calories, iron and vitamins.

semi-skimmed milk isn't recommended as a drink until age 2 due to what i have said above

imyourhuckleberry Fri 14-Nov-14 08:21:44

she is giving it to ger as her main drink, which is why I am so concerned

Bunbaker Fri 14-Nov-14 08:23:06

I didn't think babies were supposed to have cow's milk as a main drink until 12 months, or has this changed?

imyourhuckleberry Fri 14-Nov-14 08:27:04

sorry if I was unclear. my friend is giving her baby cows milk, semi skimmed, as her main and only milk. she is using it in food and as a drink. this is against all medical advice. I have tried to talk to her about it but she believes it doesn't matter. I wondered what other MN's would do in this situation.

Bunbaker Fri 14-Nov-14 08:28:37

Is it because she can't afford formula?

stargirl1701 Fri 14-Nov-14 08:30:09

I would get in touch with her HV. It is a child protection concern.

Figster Fri 14-Nov-14 08:36:29

I would be telling anyone who will listen about it she is endangering her child!!

If her sister did it too they're both as stupid as the other. Youve tried to talk to her and she's dismissed your concerns how good a friend is she? It's unlikely your friendship can survive you reporting her to HV but that's what I would do as a minimum

Eminybob Fri 14-Nov-14 08:41:47

She's not giving her any formula? shock

This is terrible, surely at 7 months she won't be eating enough to be getting the nutrition from food so formula or breastmilk is essential!

I have no advice on what to do but you must do something to make her understand the damage she may be doing sad

imyourhuckleberry Fri 14-Nov-14 08:57:51

I am deeply concerned... I will try talking to her again and if not go to her HV. I know she does things I wouldn't thia is just terrible isn't it.

DoItTooJulia Fri 14-Nov-14 09:43:32

I would let her get on with it, because pushing her too hard might push her away and if you have other concerns about the baby's welfare she might need you in the future.

That said, they are only guidelines, not a legal requirement and all parenting is like this, isn't it, where you weigh up the advice and do what's best for your family.

Do you have any other concerns for the baby?

imyourhuckleberry Fri 14-Nov-14 11:55:34

she parents her child in a very different way to meet but I can't say I am concerned about anything other than her diet. she also gives her child v salty foodm

DoItTooJulia Fri 14-Nov-14 14:55:19

I'd still go gently.

I don't think its a child protection issue (!) but it is a concern. Can you show her some literature, or discuss it without seeming judgemental? Do you know her sister?

Don't forget that people don't always tell the truth when it comes to parenting....she may be exaggerating.

Discobugsacha Fri 14-Nov-14 14:59:09

Is she still breastfeeding alongside?

YellowSpoon Fri 14-Nov-14 17:02:11

Neglect is a CP issue and this is physical neglect Whatever the rational behind her decision.
You are right to be concerned OP I would flag it up to her HV if you have already discussed it with her. Semi skimmed milk as a main source of nutrition is really inadequate.

hippo123 Sun 23-Nov-14 22:49:39

Contact her Hv or speak to your gp regarding your concerns. I'm afraid it's quite a big safeguarding issue, it's neglect.

EmbarrassedPossessed Sun 23-Nov-14 22:53:19

I think you've got to speak to someone about this, even if it risks your friendship. There aren't enough calories or nutrients in semi skimmed milk for a 7 month old, so the baby will potentially be failing to thrive if it goes on too long. Did she breastfeed (or give formula) up to 6 months?

ArchangelGallic Sun 23-Nov-14 22:56:57

We had a HV check around 7-9 months.
If you know which clinic her HV is likely to be based at, I'd give them a call and discuss your concerns. They could then hopefully bring it up with your friend when they visit her.

tobysmum77 Tue 25-Nov-14 22:12:51

Its not ideal but dd1 completely refused formula from about then she didn't fail to thrive. Also when I was a baby no one used formula after 6 months and we all survived. Strange though, especially insisting on giving semi skimmed . ......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now